@beefybanana - Dude...you have more mics than anyone I've ever met

WTF man? Did you rob a guitar center? I wouldn’t even know what do with that mic locker. lol.

1 Like

Haha! 20 years of collecting them I guess. I have to make sure we have plenty of options for us/clients who use the studio. :wink: We have some fairly big sessions in with everyone tracking live so have to make sure it’s all covered!

Is that vintage 87 your first go-to for vocals? I noticed its at the top of your list.

I could tell right away you stay booked up. And its amazing how much you’re milking out every square inch of that room. Thats just nuts. Its almost comical how the more of mess you see (cables, stands, papers) in photos, the more ‘real’ the studio is. And how a lot of those picture perfect pristinely designed one sit empty 75% of the time. …and besides - collectors don’t build gear collections like your. You really have the right stuff. I know a busy studio when I see one!! :stuck_out_tongue:

The 87 tends to be yep, It’s a good one, we actually got it off Hugh Padgham when he was selling off some of his gear, along with a few other mics and some outboard. Depends on the voice though of course, I like the D19 on certain voices and the M260 can work sometimes on well if the source is weighted towards the hi-mids…

We stay busy yep! And I don’t think we’ll ever be picture perfect tbh. We’ve got too much stuff! :wink: Myself and my bandmate actually opened the studio so it started as a somewhere just for us to make records, but we opened it commercially about 18 months ago and word quickly got around in Manchester. We’re finding people are heading up from London now as well as we’re able to keep the rates much lower than the going rate down there. I’m doing revisions at the mo with a group that are up from down south… Thanks for the kind words @Jonathan !

1 Like

What other kinds of stuff do you find the U87 not suited for? Have you a/b’d it against a newer one? What differences do you find?

Hey, @beefybanana, beefcake. I never got to see that mic collection Jonny Quest was referring to. Anyway we could see a picture?

I got it off his website.

1 Like

God bless you Jonathan D. Garbage.

That’s an impressive selection @beefybanana! Congrats!

1 Like