Basic Videography tips for YouTube & other general use

I’m not married to the 180 rule. In fact, I had never heard of it until watching this video. But in what ways are digital cameras indifferent to it? As a high level rule, it seems to make sense. Basically, when there’s motion, it’s better to let it blur than to make it crisp, unless you have specific reasons for wanting otherwise.

Obviously it’s not to be used as a hard and fast rule, but it seems like a pretty good idea for a default.

There are some digital cameras with mechanical shutters still.
The 180 refers to 180 degree shutter angle of a mechanical shutter ( i.e. half open ) . In an electronic shutter there are no angles of the shutter, its either on or off so exposure at all times or none at all. So the equation of the frame rate and shutter angle would be invalid as there will be no relation. You could shoot at whatever fps you want with 1/30 or 1/48 or 1/60 or 1/120 shutter speed and get the desired motion blur you want and it would still be cinematic.

The electronic shutters have their own signature artifacts though. While they definitely save wear and tear on the camera, they have a hard time with ambient lights. They tend to capture more fill light than usual.

1 Like

still waiting for this! but seeing your Carol of the Bells, I may just take that as a win.

Anywhooo, adding more to this topic, adding more as it comes.

When you have to get up for a morning video shoot and all you can think and smell is coffeee…
this is what happens, is it flute? is it coffee?? its Flute Cafe!

the above shot is a still from a video I recorded on my porch using a DSLR remote. It was tricky as hell to setup. Not only does the light move fast but you have to overcome morning drowsiness and put makeup on. Love it or hate it, morning shoots are the best for this kind of shot.
ND filter, 50mm lens, 1.8 aperture and 100 ISO with 1 key light, soft tungsten. Focus is always tricky with this kind of video so setting the camera to face recognition helps if shooting solo. Otherwise you are at the mercy of whoever. Luckily for me, this shoot worked well and an I am pretty excited.

1 Like