Some of you may remember this song from almost a year ago. I was never really happy with it, and I get occasional requests for me to put this in online stores/streaming, but I never wanted to release the version that I had because I didn’t like it. So I started on this new version almost a month ago. This song has been through so many freaking revisions! Needless to say I worked very hard on this. That doesn’t mean you can’t bash it! But I want to point out some things that I tried to do better on this recording:
I focused more on “groove” than I have in the past.
a.) This is the first time I’ve written/recorded a bass part on an actual bass. I’ve never played the bass before, but I don’t totally suck at it because I’ve been playing guitar for so long. Writing a bass line was NOT easy. It was very fun though.
b.) I tried to make my MIDI drums sound more realistic. I tried to add more variations, and also write something that an actual drummer might play, rather than just filling in MIDI notes where I thought it sounded good. I used my drum kit to help me flesh out ideas and translated them into MIDI. I also used something called “ghost notes” on the snare sometimes. I like what that added.
c.) Something I’ve struggled with in the past is playing fingerstyle guitar with rhythm. If I play it solo it sounds fine, but once I add it do drums or something the notes in between the main beats are noticeably off. So what I found helped me was to raise the volume of the hi hat loud enough to use as a metronome, and that helped me play all of the notes closer to the grid.
I also focused on the low end more than I have before. It may be a bit messy… I tried to balance the instruments though. There’s the bass, the electric piano and the guitar that all have some low-mid overlap. Let me know how you think I did with this.
I guess that’s about it. I can still tweak the mix before I release it, so let me know if you have any tips there! Otherwise I can use advice towards my next song. Thanks!