Bash the pants off of it!

I’m the same. The difference is that you have a great voice!

1 Like

Drums sounds less overbearing now, and we can hear more of the instruments, so it’s definitely better.
I love drums, but there’s always a fine line between loud and present.

Vocals sound great! Not a singer??? Who are you kidding???

Still unconvinced about that kick/snare pattern though. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for checking it out brother,
i guess technically i am a singer now, but you know what i mean :-))
so the balance of the other instruments sound decent ?
also hows the bass sitting with you?

Could be a little bit more present IMHO, but I’m listening on PC speakers so it might be that they just need a little bit more mid range to cut through.
I’ll check on monitors and studio headphones this evening as well and tell you about it.

Beautiful tune, magnificent performance and a very clear mix.
I love the drums but have a few nitpics…
-The are a very few rimshots that “missed”. That’s a real cool styley thing. But in the mix, I think that ALL the 2s and 4s need to be solid.
-The lower volume drums work a bit better. But I think they need to go back a baby step in the mix rather than go lower in volume. If you get them behind the vocal a bit, you can even mix them louder should you desire… :slight_smile:
I think what happens when you play all the instruments, you tend to want to “inspect” them and hear them in the mix. Then you end up with everything in the front and lose depth.
Just getting the drums back… maybe slightly faster attack on a comp and a hair of verb with the highs cut back will do it.
I also think that pushing the Bass way down to the bottom of the mix will allow you to turn it up and make the whole mix fatter. No need to juice the bottom of the drums. They are charming and organic as they are.
I think just going in this direction will make enough depth. But even if it doesn’t, it will show you where everything else needs to be…
Great work… you can also EASILY ignore me and probably everyone here and PRINT IT. it’s that good… :slight_smile:
have fun
rich

Thank you rjwillow, thank you for listening.
I know what your saying about the rim shot misses lol
i think its cool, i like the fact that i missed, very natural.
I took your advice and I’m liking the results :slight_smile:
I did a faster attack on the drums, and it worked like a charm.

https://soundcloud.com/derekreesemusic/time-best-mix-thus-far

Dang dude! SOOOO good! I could totally hear this being done on “Live From Daryl’s House”

Great job man!! :beerbang:

1 Like

Thank you holster !!!
yeah from your mouth to gods ears LMAO

I hear you…
Before I was in the box, I had a track where I pulled a bonehead move and hit a mic. Since I was by myself, I couldn’t get the punch in right. So I just punched that hit OUT with the intent on getting some help to fix it later. It turned out that the “hole” just about made the track and I kept it… :slight_smile: have fun
rich

1 Like

you have a beautiful voice dude!
truly amazing vocally.
the second mix sounds better as the drums arent as overpowering, but by lowering them they have lost a little of their punch . im not 100% convinced with the tone of the snare throughout, i like its dry in your face tone but sometimes there is too much variant in it, maybe tame with a little compression.
hats sound great, kick sounds good but i think snare needs a touch more rattle to even out the transients or a touch of reverb.
some nice rhythms though! i really like the laid back jazz vibe to this. its not my type of music but i`m loving the drum work on it.
your voice reminds me of someone real famous and i cant put my finger on it. not Otis Redding but someone like that. the name will come to me.
great work man!

Superb song and production !
The second version is far better now !

1 Like

LazyE thank you for checking me out.
Honestly i could think of a bunch of things i probably would change about the drum sound, but…
Im doing all of this in a really tiny room, with minimal absorption and bass traps.
I also kind of missed the drums being more in your face.
Otis Redding HA, i wish, he is one of my all time heroes for sure.
Lemme know when you think of the famous persons name, I’m always curious to hear what someone else ears hear :slight_smile: