Bash Personality mix by Pingafuego

Hi, would love to have your feedback !

I couldn’t find time to send it earlier, in time for the contest.

Thanks!

Nice aggression to the mix. maybe a little much from the cymbals and the acoustic guitar. You can clearly hear the attack from of the pick on the strings is really present, too much so. I am listening on a new system so it may be accentuating that but that is still an issue. other wise a solid mix from my point of view .

Thanks for your comments. The cymbals recording is very dynamic and you are right, I should have automated it a little. I muted some acoustic guitars.
Mixed mainly with Waves SSL E channels for dynamics and eq. Ozone 7 for “mastering”

1 Like

Very neat and solid mix. The only thing I’d have to say is I don"t know what to think of these guitars… They sound big, but I kept wondering all along whether they were too loud or not… They’re probably not since no other part is masked, but still they drew a lot of my attention.

Thanks for your comments! I decided to use the original recorded guitars and not to reamp the DIs. So I tried to make them sound big. Maybe should have turned them down a bit!

I try not to read other responses before I comment, so here goes - listening while I write.

Really nice vibrant and lively mix. Really captures the energy of the song well. Your drum mix is really solid and tight and the grit on the rhythm guitars fits very nicely. For critiques, it feels like the rhythm guitars may have been high-passed a little too aggressively. I’d like a little more “weight” to them, but that could just be a taste thing. I really like the tone you got on your bass as well, but again feel like it could use a little more low end presence. Finally, the FX on the vocal feels out of place with the rest of the mix. I think because it got pushed too far back with reverb? With the vibe on the rest of your mix, I’m wanting to hear the vocal in my face, not on the back of the stage. I really like how you brought out the edginess in this mix!

• OK, on second listen, it sounds like a similar verb is on your drums/snare as well. I would like to hear this mix with less verb on the vox and drums to bring them forward with the really great sounding guitars. Really nice mix!

Now to read your other comments and see how far off I am. :wink:

Thanks miked, really appreciate your insight and critics!

I was experimenting with a new plugin on vocals - the Eventide H3000 Band Delays - and tried a vocal preset on a aux send. I think you are right, I should have lowered the send signal a bit!
On snare I was looking for some gated verb, and found an EzMix preset which seemed to make the snare a bit fatter!
Thanks!