Bash into a Bulldozer

Here’s the final track from my album finally completed… I recorded it once before, but wasn’t happy with it, so I scrapped that version and did it again. It’s a bit of an epic rocker by my standards - and it has a sting in it’s tail…oh, and it has little to do with literal heavy machinery… so sit back, have a listen, and let me know how it sounds - thanks!

Updated mix here:

1 Like

Love those toms at the start. Played that riff that starts at 14 sec over and over thinking It wasn’t special especial at 16 seconds. but it grew on me. ha ha at 26 seconds the guitar is taking over your vox a bit. Morning heat are the clear I like. Very picky. Lots of emotion in your vocal. Excellent.
Really didn’t want to be the first to comment because I have the least talent in that department.
Bulldozer…ha ha… I have one…a 1936 allis chalmers that runs very well. great song pard

Paul

1 Like

Firstly I would like to mirror Pauls statement of not being knowledgable enough to critique your work. All I noticed was how well the different parts and transitions of the song were well balanced (volume) and well done. Every instrument sat distinctly in its place, and with all that was going on here there was no clashing of space. Simply made this song - which rocks btw so easy to listen to and like. Again another great mix.
CRS - we are not worthy :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Paul - You have your own bulldozer? Well, I’ll be!!! haha, yes I used to have to climb all over big Cat D12s at work.

I’ll check out that vocal/guitar thing you mentioned at 26 secs. I sidechain compressed the main verse guitar to be ducked by the vocal ever so slightly, but it still might need some automation in different spots.

Thank mate -I appreciate the listen and comment.

Not at all, Daniel! I always get a lot of insight from critiques given on these bashing sessions, whether the bash be given by a full on pro, a rank amateur, or anyone else at any stage in between. I know that personally, developing critical listening skills absolutely key to me improving my audio game, so I love to see others really getting finicky & microscopic in their critiques… And if I give it out, you have to be able to take it!

All I noticed was how well the different parts and transitions of the song were well balanced (volume) and well done. Every instrument sat distinctly in its place, and with all that was going on here there was no clashing of space. Simply made this song - which rocks btw so easy to listen to and like. Again another great mix.

Thanks Daniel, I appreciate the kind words - yes there is a lot going on here - I’m glad it sounds clear, because I got to the point where I’d been listening too long and I wasn’t sure any more!

That’s precisely why I need to load up the mix here and get some perspective from you guys, so don’t hold back!

Thanks again for listening and commenting - much appreciated!

Everything on this one is as good as it gets. You are becoming the king of the jarring bridge section, but it is growing on me. I think there is room for a little more snarl on the rhythm guitar parts, but other than that little bit of subjectivity, it is a great piece of work.

Thought I recognised this .Sounds cool nice space .
Sounds like you have great monitoring there

Haha, thanks Bob - yup The Jarring Bridge King - that’s me! :sunglasses:

Thanks Alan - TBH, my monitoring system is pretty budget - just a set of Yamaha HS50Ms and a HS10 sub. The room is pretty big, so I’m reasonably confident with the low end. I think I may be getting a bit of a buildup around the 400-500hz mark, because I’ve noticed I tend to pull to much of that out in general. The Yammies are pretty strident in the high end too, so I have to be careful not to mix too dark. Referencing always helps immensely.

Any other thoughts about this before I stamp it for good? Speak now or forever hold your peace! :grinning:

1 Like

Ok, last call for critiques!.. Anyone with anything to add? If no one has any more critiques, I shall send it off to the mastering engineer and not bother you with it any longer.

Have you thought about chorus on the clean guitar? I think it would sound cool, but then again, it might be too '80s for you.

1 Like

Hang on a minute man, that sounds pretty cool.

Damn, that sounds wicked on the whole thing during the first verse. Obviously a rough mock up. It extends the vibe I feel like, it’s kind of a “cool in the shade type of thing”.

1 Like

Yeah, on my original version of it I did that, but yes - you’re right, I decided it was “too 80’s”. It does sound pretty cool, though!

Well it’s only one song for the '80s. The '80s were pretty cool, but do watcha want!

1 Like

There are TWO flaws with your post and track…
ONE “It’s tail” should be “its tail”… :slight_smile:

SECOND: you have some great chapters of noise at the start: Plink Guitars: TOMS: Guit RIFFS; VOX…
At the moment, there’s confusion as to the volumes and importance of these…
You need to have INCREASING importance, volume.
Set the volume of the actual tune - the riffs and the VOX, then reduce the volume of the prior elements.
We need to get DRAWN into the tune, not feel like we miss the cool plinks at the the start…
Make this overt and clear.
Volume adjustments is the key to making this tune totally fab - me thinks…
( I feel it gets TOO LOUD in the main part of the production, sorry…)

S

Hey Sven! Thanks for giving it listen and commenting!

Haha… I can blame that one on my iPad’s auto spell correct! :blush:

SECOND: you have some great chapters of noise at the start: Plink Guitars: TOMS: Guit RIFFS; VOX…
At the moment, there’s confusion as to the volumes and importance of these…
You need to have INCREASING importance, volume.
Set the volume of the actual tune - the riffs and the VOX, then reduce the volume of the prior elements.
We need to get DRAWN into the tune, not feel like we miss the cool plinks at the the start…
Make this overt and clear.
Volume adjustments is the key to making this tune totally fab - me thinks…
( I feel it gets TOO LOUD in the main part of the production, sorry…)

Ok cool - there is actually a tonne of volume automation going on already - with the goal of increasing importance and volume as the song goes along - but I think I get what you’re saying…

My idea was for the intro to be something akin the the start of "Dire Straits’ “Money For Nothing” where the drums build up in intensity and then lead into the verse, which drops off then builds back up to the chorus…and so on.

…however, I think you have a point about the first intro harmonics before the drums hit being too loud - you’ve actually given me a great idea to improve that part - thanks mate! :+1:

1 Like

DIgging it…before mister ME gets his hands on it, maybe just lower the guitars down a touch overall. The vocals could be louder in the mix, the guitars felt a touch overbearing, not a deal breaker though.
Very cool song.

1 Like

Thanks - I actually have an updated version here:

Just a couple of questions:

Which guitars are you referring to - the verse, the chorus, or all of them? Is there a problem you’re hearing with the intelligibility of the lyrics?

Thanks for listening and commenting - much appreciated!

Dig it really,
a good classic rock. Sounds good, really.
Some ideas btw :

• the drums fill are systematically pushing the tempo, that is disturbing for me. (programmed ?)
    For example at 0:27 , 0:33 , 0:38 , 0:41… Probably nothing. Essentially for the ghost notes.
  • during the second verse you should delay the lead vocal track (about 50 ms or so), it pushes too. Needs to be more layed back.
    About the production itself, really pro. Just i’d probably put less reverb on that snare. A question of taste…
    Congrats !

Thanks Moa!

The drums were played by the drummer in my old band. I agree - he pushed the beat, but I really enjoyed his playing - he was very consistent and musical. When I play bass I tend to play behind the beat and swing a little harder, so I like the tension created by that push/pull. Without that, the song loses the sense of edge and excitement.

Thanks for listening and commenting - always great to get different viewpoints!