Any PC nerds in here? Need to build a new machine

My PC is 6 years old and is starting to display unstability and erratic behaviour. I have tested my RAM, updated the BIOS and formatted the system and reinstalled everything. It was better for a while but it’s happening again now so it’s time to invest in a new configuration.

So after some research I’ve come up with the following. I am not interested in computers that much and don’t know anything else than what I read on Google. Please let me know if you see something that doesn’t look ok or if you think of any alternative component that would be better suited for professional music production, without making the whole thing more expensive than it already is. I will have to do light video editing every once in a while, which is why there is a GPU in there, otherwise I would have skipped it. So here it is:

Chassis: BeQuiet Pure 500

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 OC

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900 | 5.0 GHZ | 8 Cores 16 Threads

Graphics: ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER AMP OC 6GB GDDR6

RAM: 64GB Klevv BOLT X DDR4 3200 Mhz (16x4)

CPU Fan: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4

System SSD: 1TB M.2 NVME ULTRA FAST SSD (R: 3500mb/s | W: 3000mb/s)

Storage HDD: TOSHIBA 2TB 3.5 INCH HDD | 7200RPM

Power: Superflower leadex3 80+ 750W Gold Modular PSU

It’s certainly going to be powerful enough to run a DAW and video editing software without breaking a sweat.

3 Likes

Yep, that looks like a right beast of a rig. I don’t think there is much software you could not run extremely well, of any kind. Good luck!

2 Likes

That’s a powerful machine and should serve you well. You might want to optimize it even more for recording and there are a lot of online resources available to guide you through the process.

Optimize PC for home recording

I have a 12 core/24 thread Xeon PC with 48Gb Ram that benefited from optimizing.

1 Like

When you’re not editing tracks, you could launch Space Shuttles with it in your spare time… crikey that’s a machine. I have a 32gb, i7 8700 machine, and it doesn’t slow down at all. I do throw some nonsense at the CPU I have to admit - especially when I get fancy with my video editing. The only thing I would do is get a couple of SSD hard drives for projects, files, samples and VST’s that come with GB of samples. I have one NVMe drive as the OS drive, a couple of SSD’s for files and things, and then a couple of HDD’s for backup purposes.

1 Like

By the way - what software are you going to run on this beast?

Whatever the f*ck he wants to.

3 Likes

Well I’m going to use Reaper 90% of the time. I do have large projects occasionally (hundreds of tracks, lots of plugins) but it’s not the most common. Apart from that I’ll use some Adobe software (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro) but only occasionally.

I gather from your comments that this configuration might be a little overkill. The thing is, I don’t want speed, power or reliability issues ever getting in my way so I went for something powerful thinking that it would help with that. But it might not be the right thing to do, I don’t know… It was already my goal when I bought my current configuration 6 years ago and it was powerful at that time (i7-4770k @3.5GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD…) and it did work well for some years, but I never got good latency values.

1 Like

Unfavorable latency values probably had more to do with your interface and drivers than the pc.

2 Likes

In general that’s true, but in my case I believe a lot of it is due to something wrong in my current configuration. I’ve spent days optimising my system for audio but latency monitoring always showed multiple problems coming from the network card, the graphics card and whatnot. And latency numbers have gotten worse over time. Now it has got to the point where I have to run buffer size at 256 to avoid cracks and pops and latency values are high. It’s not a big deal as I can always change the buffer size when recording but I’m pretty sure that with the gear I have I should have better values.

very true…

Being future-proof as much as possible is always a good idea!

Sometimes it can be the funkiest things that screw up latency. Some background processes or drivers of other devices can really screw up your latency, and it can be hard to track down.

1 Like

Latency monitor finds network card and/por graphics card issues, most of the times. And it’s always in the yellow or red, never in the green.

Very interesting reading this thread… I can’t add any kind of meaningful critique to that list though. I’m super new to the PC world - when I was finishing up school I started having to look at building one that could run Unity extensions properly… (macs have some real problems with dev software not being compatible). So I started learning about them because I was in bad need of a graphics card update, then I started a new job and the software company I’m working for now gave me a decked out 7000 series Dell Percision laptop that absolutely smokes my MacBook Pro.

I think the 2 graphics cards I was looking at were the 2080Ti and the RTX, but I remember the dude I was talking to at Best Buy saying something about the power supply starting to matter at that point. I don’t remember what you’re supposed to look at to see if the power supply is large enough for the card and if its compatible with the motherboard.

Fortunately, there’s an app for that… Check out:

But I am certain the 750W unit Loph is planning is up to the job… probably worth running the test though.

1 Like

For what @Lophophora is proposing to build, I would say the only viable power supply would be this:

1 Like

This might work too - I guess it would depend on the motherboard specs: