Any fans of IK T-Racks?

So the 33609 is a diode bridge compressor that’s great on a 2 bus and similar in Vibe to the Focusrite Red 3 in that it compresses gently without digging. On the rare occasions where I track in a large studio, I love to use it on orchestras and choirs. Here (in the picture below) are the settings I typical start with for 2 bus use. All the studios I track film scores at have at least one of these. All of them also have SSL 9000J’s. When we were screwing around after the sessions were over, I was able to pick the 33609 apart from the SSL bus comp pretty consistently on a digitally level matched, bounced/printed blind test in the actual control room.

Again, when I use this on the 2 bus, its never pop or rock. Its always either film scores, musical theater stuff, or church choirs.

I don’t use the T-racks but I use the UAD version of the Vari-Mu regularly. I shouldn’t say regularly because I’m hardly recording any music these days. But I when I did it was a go-to. So the Vari-Mu is a modernized offshoot of the Fairchild. Same type of circuit. The signature sound is created by the internal tubes re-biasing on a timed basis. The tubes re-bias automatically according to the program information (volume and frequency content) of the incoming audio source.

A super layman way of thinking about this compressor is that it self-adapts to whatever it hears.

What this means is it doesn’t create the slam and punch of an 1176 or distressor. It gives you a smooth, super transparent, and highly controlled ‘feel’ of compression. This is because the mechanism that causes it to compress reacts to program information ‘slower’. An 1176 and Distressor can be slowed down, but when they slow down, they don’t sound the same. I use the Vari-Mu on southern gospel vocals, opera singers, broadway style vocalists, acoustic pianos, and pipe organs. Where you want the compression to sound almost unprocessed. I don’t ever use this to control dynamics. In my opinion there are much better compressors than a Vari-Mu which can be placed infront in order to achieve the same level of transparency. The Vari-Mu is NOT a leveling amp. If you want a transparent leveling amp, but one that’s uber transparent, the 33609 can actually do this because of its Dual Stage design. Same with the Shadow Hills Mastering Comrpessor. (The 33609 has a comp stage/limit stage, the Shadow Hills has a opti/discrete stage)

So for dynamic control with grit, edge, character, and dirt. 1176 ->LA2A or Distressor -> LA2A for me. For Transparency 33609 -> VariMu/Fairchild or Shadow Hills->VariMu/Fairchild. Chandler Limited comps also fall into this category.

Your half-way-in-between compressor might be your API2500 or TubeTech CL1B. Other option are a Summit Audio or Elysia which have accurate models available as plugins.

Hey @Tesgin… we talked about some of this stuff a while back. Thought you might find some of this dialogue helpful - I know you like to sort of classify and categorize how things function and organize :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it quite interesting because I use IK’s fairchild quite regularly - especially on vocals. I guess I’ve just got to spend more time with the vari-mu.

Same concept, same technology, same general type of circuit. But a VERY different sound. Both are jam packed full of tubes (A variable Mu compressor by definition requires tubes) and both have similar strengths and weaknesses. But again, the sonic imprint should be entirely different.

I wonder part of the issue is that the T-racks version isn’t real dead-accurate to the particular strengths of the Manley hardware. I’m not suggesting it ought to be, but if it is, it helps to give an idea of where and how you can apply it.

Try the Vari-Mu on a drum bus. I think Paul has a real one, and he uses his there a lot. If you don’t have content that has pianos, real choirs, and strings, you could could try it on background vocal busses BUT UNLINK THE TWO SIDES!! lol. I really don’t use the Vari-Mu on often on vocals, but I agree with you that the FairChild is a rockstar on in this application. When it comes to vocals, if I want a Manley sounding object in the lead vocal chain, I have a VoxBox that typically lives at the front. That’ll end up feeding a UAD LA-2A most of the time. The compressor circuit on the VoxBox is somewhat similar to Vari-Mu but its tweaked to be faster. Its super super transparent though. In this case I find it necessary to run a color and grit compressor behind the Voxbox sometimes.

In the pic it looks like your Comp threshold is +8 to +10, wouldn’t it be acting more like an Expander with a positive threshold like that?

Thanks for all the info, I’ll have to try it more things.

That’s not really a positive threshold. Its just how the knobs are labeled. I basically start with it all the way up (which would be like all the way down on an SSL) then get it to 2-4 db of GR. Remember that this thing was designed for use in radio stations and that’s why the signal hits the limiter stage first before the compressor. What Neve had in mind was if the announcer suddenly shouts into the mic the limiter catches the abrupt transient before sending it to the compression stage. Fab Dupont and Yoad Nevo have some videos out there where they do a 2 compressor thing where a limiter (but not a brick wall limiter) first anchors the vocal in place (so it doesn’t go anywhere) and then a compressor follows. The 33609 kind of does that, but all in 1 unit. And like other vintage hardware (LA-2A for example) people gradually discovered that some stuff built for broadcast sounded really freaking cool when used for recording)

That sort of goes with what I was saying to @Cirrus… Fairchild 660/670’s and Vari-Mu’s suck at dynamics control (in my opinion). Its just not their thing. And they’re also completely useless (again in my opinion) if you need a high precision surgical compressor like a Weiss, Millenia, Crane Song, or Shadow Hills.

1 Like

First mastering attempt on T-Racks:

Oooops…I chopped the intro a bit :slight_smile:

master

Did mix eq matching as I was curious what that’ll do, so I picked 3 songs in similar genre, then did a parallel compression as it was interesting to try it out, different comps and settings attenuated different things, kind of a neat trick.

So now if someone can explain LUFS to me, that’ll be great :slight_smile:

Also - can’t seem to pick up T-Racks in Studio One, I imagine that’s cause I am using the 32bit version of Studio One?

1 Like

The TR5 “One” unit is a type of mastering or all-in-one processor, so in parallel with the Black 76 seems like an odd combination to me. Could produce unusual effects?

A newer loudness measuring standard. Read around and see what your style of music recommends and then experiment with what you like. Kinda/sort like RMS or the Dynamic Range meter scale, but it’s been defined for a broadcasting and streaming benchmark. I think for “dynamic music” (not heavily compressed) LUFS 14 may be a good one to try. For metal and heavy rock you could go up to 9 or 10 LUFS, though some wouldn’t recommend that. It depends on if someone is asking you to meet a standard, what your personal taste is, and if it’s hurting the music or not high enough for streaming services. Too high and they’ll turn your music down, too low and they may not touch it and it’ll sound weak. I think YouTube and Spotify recommend around -14 LUFS.

Yeah, it’s only 64-bit VST2 and VST3.

IK says theirs goes through the compressor first and then the limiter. It’s supposed to be closely modeled on the original, but I guess they chose to keep it a more standard configuration. Their GUI puts the compressor on top and limiter on bottom. It doesn’t mention the signal flow in the manual, but I found the YT video for it and they clarify it there.

Still playing around with it. Haven’t done paralel multicomp on master mix so that’s turning to be addictive.

I’ll check on lufs. Been using dynamic range forever so that had me baffled :slight_smile:

Next comes the T-Racks vs Ozone vs Studio One mastering tools comparison. Seems I’m more of a T-Racks kind of guy, like a new pair of shoes from a favorite manufacturer :wink:

1 Like

You CAN use your T-Racks and Izotope plugins on the Studio One Project page. Just sayin’…

:smiley:

Yeah. From what I’m seeing the Ozone final master limiter seems to work better than T-Racks limiter IMO but yeah, eventually when I graduate to Studio One 64bit I can use both inside the DAW.

Just curious if anyone knows or has any experience with it … and if not I’ll tag @ikmultimedia to see if they can weigh in. On the IK VC670 (Fairchild) they have “DC” controls that are supposed to be modeled or similar to the original hardware, which changes the Knee when rotated, and I think the UAD version even impacts the Ratio too. From the TR5 User Manual:

LEFT-LAT DC Threshold: exactly like on the original unit, set it fully counterclockwise for maximum
softness of the compression knee; Set it fully clockwise for maximum hardness of the compression knee.
RIGHT-VERT: same as LEFT-LAT DC Threshold for right channel.

The stock or default position on the IK is around 11:00, and turned fully CCW there is more compression (from what I experienced) and turned fully CW there is less compression. Or more/less gain reduction let’s say. Now, that may be because the Threshold needs to be changed to account for the altered Knee setting.

Do you mess with this control at all or just leave it as is? What is your experience of what it does - or for IK - what were the design specs?

I believe on the actual units, those pots weren’t on the control panel and were designed to calibrate some aspect of the circuit (possibly the bias?) as wear on the valves/ replacing with new valves would change the operating conditions of the circuit. So there’d be a set procedure in the manual for getting things in spec and operating as intended.

I don’t tend to bother with them on the IK plugin, but in principle I don’t see why not if you want to change the compression knee - comps of this design are very gentle so if you want them to grab a bit more and/or get to higher ratios with lower GR, why not?

1 Like

That makes sense.

Yeah, I just wish IK @ikmultimedia was a bit more explicit about how they modeled it. They didn’t respond to my post (yet), but I’ll continue to play with it. Maybe I could put an Oscilloscope plugin on after it and see if that gives some indication of what is happening?

1 Like

I spent some more time with Dyna-Mu and it replaced Precision Comp in some DIY mastering I’m doing. Bearing in mind that all these mixes were already mixed from scratch and bounced down through an SSL-style comp…

The comparison is, to my ears, that as mentioned earlier, Precision comps a bit more soft, gluey, and midrange-focused. It’s great at pulling things together.

The Dyna-Mu, once I started dialling it in, was a bit more punchy. Because it’s got more adjustable attack and release, I got it adding more attitude to the kicks and snares, and it felt like it was, in doing that, keeping a bit more low end separation going on. The top end also felt like it was a bit clearer and more dynamic. The Precision Comp kinda pulls the kick, bass, anything else going on down low into one gob of thickness, in comparison, and does something similar up top so things feel smoother. I can see why @Jonathan doesn’t use it as much on rock. Sitting back and listening to the material through each, I found my ears being drawn more the the low mids of the guitars in the arrangement, whereas with the Dyna-Mu they were drawn more to the snap of the kick & snare, and the more exciting upper mids and treble - the gravel on the vocals, splashes of cymbals, etc, without it feeling like either compressor had done anything markedly different to the overall EQ of the mixes - I guess it was just in which parts were more or less dynamic.

Anyway, TL:DR… the Dyna Mu was really cool on rock mixes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the analysis! I had something similar I was experimenting with using both of those plugins, and a rock mix. I don’t know how much comparing the two is apples to oranges on settings, but I definitely hear what you are talking about. I do get this nice warm thickness with the Precision, but it does tend to “mush” (glue) things together. And it does seem to enhance the midrange a bit. With the Dyna-Mu I was able to hear the kick and bass more distinctly, whereas with the Precision it kind of merged them together (not always a bad thing). I also noticed in crash cymbals or open hi-hat that the Dyna-Mu was clear and distinct, more upper mids, and the Precision emphasized the mid-mids of the crash/open-hat and made them sound a bit trashy.

Perhaps if a recorded song and mix was sounding a bit to ‘sterile’ the Precision would be glue, and if it already felt pretty cohesive the Dyna-Mu preserves that? So either could work in different situations on rock? I do see where the Dyna-Mu has an edge for rock, in general, though.

Lates mix I did was Dyna Mu - Quad Image - One - Classic Clipper - Brickwall Limiter

I went gently on everything so each one only adds little touches, but Dyna_Mu probably glues the mix the best first and the Quad image just widened the highs and mid highs a touch, One to add just a little touch of “Focus” and “Bass Punch” and “Analog” warmth, Clipper just a touch more gain boost and slow squash, and Limiter just keeping things not clipping above 0.

Once I got to know this thing I am getting some impressive results. Loving it so far, and honestly, just doesn’t feel right going back to Ozone.

1 Like

Love their stuff.The comps are always good and some of their eqs take some beating.like the 1073.Use their plugs on every mix

Any of you spotted the Tape machines they’ve recently released? I think today’s the last day of the introductory price.

They’re really, really impressive. Absolutely devour CPU headroom (my i7 laptop can run 8 before starting to stutter) but they really are good.

1 Like

I think it’s nice to have but having all these analog sims imo is enough. I have a Bretbaen (sp?) tape plug that seems to be enough and a few outboard rack units that do the transformer “iron” effect if needed. I’ll look them up though as if they’re affordable, why not?
Everything in T-Racks is super process intensive, my i–7 is also struggling.

The Tapes plugs are $99, or I missed the discounted offer?