an idea to brainstorm.
a variation of this contest. Take a MEMBERS recorded tracks and have a mix contest off of THOSE.
Maybe even turn it into 2 contests in one. A contest where we send our songs in to be picked for the 2nd part which is the mix off contest of whichever song wins part 1. Perhaps limited to those who dont make a living or significant income doing this.
perhaps make basic guidelines such as:
1) only 5 total drum tracks
2) 1 lead vocal plus 1 bgv or harmony
3) 3 instruments at any 1 time plus bass (gtr, keys, solo, bass...or...2 gtrs, keys, bass, or whatever)
Why? to help us all answer these questions and others
1) is it my mics and equipment holding me back?
2) are my recorded tracks any good? (does my engineering suck?)
3) what would my song sound like with a pro mix?