Analog mixer setup

Haven’t done that in a while, have a hwole rack in the garage with fx unit (1 reverb, one multi delay, reverb) and stereo eq, comp and sonic maximizer…How do you hook that up? Aux go for the two fx units, but the comp and eq, should that be after the board? I guess comp as a limiter not to hit the power amp too hard? and eq for overall tonal correction?
Haven’t done that in a while :slight_smile:

Hey man. It’s been years since I’ve done this, but I can take a shot at it.

So… all hardware?

1 reverb
1 delay
Stereo eq (I’m assuming with the mini sliders)
Comperssor
Sonic maximizer

And it sounds like you have a mixer (of course)… something like an old Mackie?

Here’s how I’d do it
-Verb and delay on an aux/bus
-I think Sonic Maximizers are usually 1 channel? Give it to your bass player and see if he wants it for his rig
-Stereo EQ between the 2 bus and the power amp - mostly keep everything flat
-Compressor… maybe use the ‘insert’ TRS, and strap it to either the lead vocal, kick, or snare. I’d probably opt for vocal and snare if I had to choose.

2 Likes

Everything s stereo…and yes, it’s been a while - I am spoiled in the DAW and don’t even remember those dirty analog days :slight_smile:
Everything is stereo, back in the day I ran the Sonic Maximizer on the 2 bus but it was on a full band mix, then got to hate it rather quick. For a little while it was in fx loop of a solid state amp, then retired to the “rack in the garage”.
My original setup was analog mixer->power amp and one verb in the Aux bus, but it seems I need more control of the vocals.
It looks like I can’t get the digital mixer that I want at a price I can afford, have room for a full rack setup, so might as well drag the whole rack setup there like old times.

Hey there,

I assume you’re cost–constrained, but a patch bay would be ideal. It allows you to make an any–to–any connection and, with a bit of DIY time on your part, it doesn’t cost a ton.

Looks like I cheated, had a bit of money saved up and honestly excited to be playing out again so I got a digital mixer. I guess I won’t have to re-learn the good old analogue route. Have a patchbay sitting in storage as well…some other time I guess :slight_smile:

Which digital mixer did you get? I’ve got a Behringer X32 Rack and an XR-18. I wouldn’t go back to analog for any reason. I’m also using powered speakers too. Also wouldn’t go back to packing around power amps for anything either! I hope you’re enjoying playing out again.