An old one, “Metal Gods”, Judas Priest, any thoughts?

This one is also about 11 years old, from 2012. Classic song. I really tried to emulate their sound effects myself (which they did in studio) - i.e. “Foley”. Fun song. I think I did a decent version. I may not have mastered this one. This was also probably done in Pro Tools, not Reaper.

3 Likes

Reference mix:

:metal: Did you bust out the silverware trays for this one!?!? Cool song and cool cover!

1 Like

I sure did! An interview I read described their process in the studio (an English mansion IIRC, Tittenhurst?, Ringo Starr’s old place?). They dropped silverware trays on a metal kitchen table for the Metal Gods stomping feet at the end. I did mine on a tile floor, with a close mic on the adjacent carpet.

For the “bam” sounds in the intro, they had hit some sheet metal with some object IIRC, with lots of compression and reverb. I took a thunder clap sound from my field recordings, and did about the same thing.

I’m glad you liked it!

1 Like

I enjoyed hearing this, Stan. You did a pretty good job. Maybe a few tweaks here and there could improve it. Your singing sounded much better than it did on an older cover you had done awhile back…I’m not sure if it was The Ripper or some other song. But the singing here is much better. All in all, a fun listen. I want to hear more from you!

1 Like

Thanks for the review! I have been trying to get myself to write and record again, but so far it’s just a little guitar and bass playing here and there to stay in practice. Never say never. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes