An old one, "Dogs", Motorhead, any thoughts?

I did this about 11 years ago. Just putting something out there.
The vocals and guitar solo could be tweaked, but bass and drums were alright IMO.

3 Likes

The reference mix:

Love the guitar tone, it sounds great from where Iā€™m sitting. Vocals and bass are badass. Thereā€™s some weird phasing issues going on with the drums, particularly noticeable on the snare which is a little off putting, to my ears anyway.
I think with a bit of tweaking and some balancing in the mix you could finish this off and have it sounding just as good as the original.

1 Like

Ha, thanks! It was an honor to try to emulate Lemmy.

I guess the drums are a bit formulaic. Iā€™m not ever sure what plugin I used for that.

I hadnā€™t even thought about ā€˜masteringā€™ this, but I suppose itā€™s something I could try. The bass is really forward in the intro, and the vocals could have more distortion (dirt) on them. Good suggestion, I may try that.

1 Like

Stan the Man the radical side. Love it. Never heard this song or band before.
I was just playing along with it and noticed it was in G sharp. I was thinking why would a group select a key that high. Itā€™s a ball breaker for sure. I just did it in falseto, but could never do it straight up like you did. Reminded me back then of born on the bayou I sang. That first note was G sharp too.
Great vibe and I bet it was fun for you to knock out. Might be the first time I heard you perform to this degree. Good on you.
Not to start a political thangy, but check out the lyrics and storyline of a song I posted a couple weeks ago called ā€œtake a leave from crazyā€. good to see you on the forum bud

1 Like

I was never a metal fan so I canā€™t really help with this but it sounds like youā€™re definitely in the ball park here Stan. I think some careful mix work could make these two quite close, although I canā€™t really tell you exactly what would work for that. I guess Iā€™d try some saturation etc. on the vocals and then play with the overall space for the rest. Terry is better with the drum sound.

But it sounds good as is!

1 Like

Motƶrhead was kind of a pioneer, revered by bands such as Metallica etc.

The band are often considered a precursor to the new wave of British heavy metal, which re-energised heavy metal in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Their song ā€œDogsā€ isnā€™t as well known as some of their other songs, but itā€™s always been my favorite.

I do remember it being in an unusual key, but havenā€™t played it in years. I certainly was singing in my upper range, and wasnā€™t able to inject as much ā€˜gritā€™ into my voice as Lemmy did.

Thanks! I posted this on RecordingReview back in the day, along with a bunch of other songs. I have a decent catalog of songs from back then, if I add them all up. Just not very prolific the last few years, but wanting to get back into the game.

I just checked it out, and yeah similar sounds to The Weight. We could write about craziness all day long these days, canā€™t we? I guess I have been absent for a few weeks here. Trying to catch up.

ā€œDogsā€ is maybe a quite political song, though it kind of speaks to the whole human race. If the politicians are Dogs, well who votes them into office? We do! I think heā€™s speaking about the globalist Kabal parasites too, though as any good song will do, there is a lack of specifics and leaving it up to your interpretation.

1 Like

Thanks Ingo! From the file name of the track, Iā€™d say I already mastered this, but I could always go back and remaster it and change some things. Iā€™m sure this was back in my Pro Tools days before I switched to Reaper, so unless I can find the original session and tracks I may only have the MP3 to work with. So I donā€™t know if I can saturate just the vocals, but thatā€™s a good idea. Thanks for your thoughts!

0:56 the turnaround there seem to be some minor tuning issues with guitars.

I was expecting the dirty bass, i.e. Lemmyā€™s trademark.

Drums are mixed way too high, especially the kick sound, not a fan of that one.
Cover is done well, minus some occasional vocal issues (tuning, delivery).

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing the chord progression kept going up the neck, and that chord was maybe high on the neck, so not tuned as tight as the open strings etc. I also might have bent the strings a bit while playing it.

For some reason I guess I decided to not have dirty bass on the intro, even though the original does. Iā€™m pretty sure, and I think you can hear the difference as it gets into the song, that I added saturation/distortion to the bass with an automated ā€œUnbypassā€ on those type of plugins. The bass tone sounds significantly different in the body of the song IMO. But itā€™s been many years. Iā€™m only going on memory.

They do seem to have the kick kind of buried, but a very dominant snare. So my drum sound overall didnā€™t come very close to the original. Using a drum plugin might have brought in issues and limitations. Iā€™m pretty sure at that time I would have been using the Pro Tools ā€œStrikeā€ drum plugin (which never seemed to gain wide popularity AFAIK).

Yes, I was certainly aware that my voice gets strained in some places, trying to hit the higher notes. It wasnā€™t the easiest thing to try to sing, but I find that accepting the challenge at least helps me learn things about my voice and its capabilities.

Thanks for weighing in!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed it!

1 Like

Wasnā€™t familiar with this particular song, but you did a great job emulating Lemmy! Good one!

1 Like

Thanks! I now see some things I could have done a little differently, but at the time I was pretty proud of it. It was a lot of fun!