Alex Lifeson (Guitarist - Rush) ditched his cabs. Using sims. Interesting

Been looking at options to fine tune my live rig. Ran across this…thought it was interesting.

2:47 “All of the speaker outputs from these amplifiers go to the Palmer PDI-03 speaker simulators…uh…there are no microphones on stage. It’s all done via the palmer”

The Palmers are $680 a shot.

Makes sense for him where consistency and simplicity are important in 20,000 seat arenas. Geddy Lee has been using a SansAmp for about a thousand years. I thought they quit though.

And for stupid speaker emulation, those Palmers are really pretty damn good. I’m not a fan of faking anything, but if I had to, I’d opt for the Palmer units.

I have a PDI-03 and they do work really well for distorted guitar tones. The clean just doesn’t get clean enough for me. I don’t know if that’s a Palmer thing or if it has something to do with my amps.

What amps?

Carvin VL100

1 Like

Hmmm. Could be an amp. Easily could be the amp. Have you tried it with others?

I used a Carvin Quad X and fought it left and right because there were extensive routing features that fit perfectly with the rest of my rig. But at the end of the day, its inability to produce the Mesa sound was a deal killer and I had to unload it. It seriously hurt, because the program recall and patch matrix was made it one of the most versatile amps I’ve ever owned. And it was so well made they even got sued by Mesa for making it.

The clean channels were also problematic. I tried to ignore and work with it anyway, but I couldn’t.