A week in the life of a Native Instruments S88 at Jonathan's house

Been well over a year @Jonathan. I’m kinda looking at picking one of these up. Still liking it overall?

Funny you ask…I happen to have one of these on the road with me right now. My large rig (Motif, Hammond, Leslie) is in the back of a semi-truck with my main band while I’m out with this other one.

I do like the Native Instruments integration, I’m not crazy about the keys. I like the weight (its only 22 pounds I think) and the LED lights behind the keys. But I wish there were more assignable buttons. If you get one, get the 2.0 new one that has a physical mod and pitch wheel if you use them for synth-ish kind of stuff.

The learning curve for how to get this thing communicating with multiple plugins inside MainStage, Ableton, or Logic is a little steep. If you have any random specific questions about it, I’m happy to give my opinion on things.

The biggest question is ‘what else should I get’? Or 'would you recommend this?..its hard to say without knowing specifically what you want it do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooooooohhhhh! And look at the first pictures where I dropped mine on a brick floor. Because of the type of metal they used on the bottom of the keyboard, it is VERY VERY easy to loose your grip on this keyboard when moving it off the stand or picking it up out of the road case.

BE WARNED! Seriously.

1 Like