A Sad Day

This is a 4th very recent ‘good’ song, and again probably after 3 failed attempts. This means I’ve started probably 16 songs in the past month, which is more than usual I will say. My wife likes this one the most, just to say. I think it’s the stomp and clap drums rather than the time changes. But what do you think?

A Sad Day by Steve Bancroft

It rained all day and into the night
I stayed inside warm and dry waiting on your call
Watching the news, checking on the weather on and off
Wondering is it such a sad day after all

I hate to wait, but there’s nothing I can do
I would wait all the day long for you
And continue to wait late into the night if I had to
Hoping you’re safe driving in the dark, wish I knew

It looked like a good day to be a sad day
Dismal and dangerous, roads slick and poor visibility
Don’t want to worry, but the world is what it is
And that’s just how much you mean to me

You never know until the day is over what to say
As you ponder the worst possibilities
The darkest hour is often right before the storm
Might as well pray while you’re down on your knees

It looked like a good day to be a sad day
Dismal and dangerous, roads slick and poor visibility
Don’t want to worry, but the world is what it is
And that’s just how much you mean to me

1 Like

steban,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your song: are you by chance using toontrack UK Pop EZX or Boz’s stomp & clap plugin? Just curious. Instrumentally, every thing sounds very nice, and the tempo changes are a pleasant surprise. Per usual, your vocals remind me of Roger Waters, which is a compliment. Interesting how you take life’s not unusual experiences, and make poetic lyrics from that. Nice audio quality, and nice song!

This is Rayzoon Jamstix 4 stomp & clap drum kit, actually, Aaron. I don’t remember ever using it before, but it sounded really good in this song to me, especially with those tempo changes.

I use several Boz VSTs on the vocals now to try to get a nice tone.

I do like this song, Steve.
Wow, you are in a roll, and producing quite lovely creations, and producing quite a bit!!!
Lovely vocals!
The lyrics are very nicely crafted.
Love the change in speed, very creative!!!

I like the tempo changes and I think the music is very good. I like that you have instrumental interludes and the lyrics are well written as usual. The stomp and clap works but it gets monotonous after a while, maybe some variation with other percussion sounds?

Your wife is right!