A New Studio

I moved house a couple of months ago and had to leave my studio behind. I couldn’t drum up the motivation to build another - even though that was the plan - but my man Dave was in the right place at the right time. He’s a professional shopfitter and a veritable machine when working. It took him 4.5 days for the full construction in my garage. The recording room is room-within-a-room and the control room is just sound proofed.

All I have to do now is get carpets and the floor and duvets stapled to the walls and ceilings and Hairy Monster Audio will rise again.

Studio Build Photos

9 Likes

Congratulations! Looks great - Keep us updated!

1 Like

Thank you Andrew. I did salvage the recording room door from the old studio - I’ve walked through it so many times it’s almost like an old friend LOL.

Almost looks like 2x8 wall studs. That’s a whole lot of rockwool. Put in lots of outlets. fun stuff

1 Like

2x9 Paul! Dave asked me to get 2x8 but I managed to source some reclaimed 2x9 that saved me about a grand (UK£).

Yes it was a shedload of loft insulation but unlike my last garage, the new one is very near the house and indeed the neighbours’ houses so I had to get as much mass as possible in there.

1 Like

Yeah!!! Cool stuff!!! Way to go man. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

You got your gear out of there… right? I mean… you’re mainly talking about the building?

1 Like

Yes, I had to leave the snake and a couple of other bits and bobs because I couldn’t extricate them but I came away with everything else.

Looks great, congrats! Looking forward to seeing how it all shapes up.

1 Like

Almost a year later. AJ any photos of the finished studio?

Very remiss of me. I shall post some photos in the next few days. The studio has been up and running for nearly year now. I’ve had many bookings; without doing the exact math I’m pretty sure it it has fully paid for itself now. And of course, the new Salem UK album is currently being recorded there too.

1 Like

A little video.

5 Likes

Cool man!! Great to hear it’s up and running and that you’re booking work :slight_smile: I think I started mine new one around the same time you did, and I’m nowhere NEAR being done with it.

But so good to hear you’re still playing and recording.

2 Likes

Awesome! An electronic man-cave! Artificial, but extremely satisfying at the same time.

Artificial? Looks like a pretty real studio to me! :grin:

1 Like

Yes, real studio indeed! What I meant was an artificial ‘cave’, which may not have translated well.

I just spent six hours writing and recording an accordian-based Euro pop song in there. It’s definitely real.

2 Likes

Congrats on you new studio. Now lets hear that song.

You wouldn’t thank me for it.

Hey, Polka music is okay if you’ve had enough beers. :slightly_smiling_face: What is a studio if you can’t show what it’s produced? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Can we have pics of Helga and her accordion? (just joking)

OK I’ll post it here. I’m not posting in on BTR because I’ll take a pasting.

1 Like