A Guitar Experiment

I don’t have any real amps so I can’t help.

This is cool, I’d like to participate. I like this sort of thing! :slight_smile:

It’ll probably be a week or so before I get the time, but I’ll do some riffs through my Mesa Stiletto combo, a Marshall JMP50 combo and my beloved but terribly named Genz Benz Black Pearl 30.

I like slightly unrefined sounds, so don’t expect heart-achingly beautiful recordings!

@madpsychot - just to be clear, are you wanting a guitar player to run a split D.I. signal into the DAW and to their amps (So the DAW is simultaneously recording amps and the dry signal), then send you an mp3 of the D.I signal for you to run through your plugins?

And are we assuming you have a comparable amp simulator in your virtual instrument arsenal? If so, you should probably tell us what you have to work with in your DAW.

I might be able to try it later this week.

Almost. I want somebody who is able to record a mic’ed amp to record some good tones - clean and distorted with their normal setup. The recording can be eq’d and processed however is best. I want those recordings to see if I can record DI’d guitar and process it with my virtual amps and see if I can record anything near a traditional setup. I would then present that to the forum as a blind test to see a) if it’s possible to get great amp tones from VST’s and b) - just for fun to see if anyone notices the difference!

Hmmm… mad, I think you might want to get the dry DI from your participants as well and treat that, as @Jonathan said. If you are comparing sounds from different guitars, that is likely to drive the difference in sound more than anything else. For this experiment to be most valuable, there should be as few variables as possible. Then you can eliminate any differences native to the instruments themselves, and that’s really what you want I reckon.

Fair enough - I’ll take DI version if it’s going! I wasn’t so worried about treating the same recording to compare - really this is just an informal experiment I’ve wanted to run for a while but never been able to. I’m going to wait for @Jonathan to send me some recordings.

1 Like

The mix contest has DI guitar and bass tracks. You can take those and record various plug-ins or reamp them to an actual amp. This way it will be apples to apples for everyone, same guitar and performance.

1 Like

I had to take my setup apart to do some re-arranging…I might not be able to get them to you soon. If someone else has some, please do chime in.

Short story long, the a few more of my top end ones went out on loan…I couldn’t do much with them at the moment being without a facility. I also dis-assembled the L/C/R Mesa rig to re-configure the G systems and re-do my pedalboard…I’m getting ready to start playing out again.

Hi all - no rush on the files! It’s just an idea that’s been rattling around in my head for a good few years now. @Fishmed - good idea with the contest files - I might try that out. The problem is we’ve all most probably heard those guitars a few hundred times and my idea is a blind test. But I’ll give it a go for the sake of fun!

@Jonathan - no worries on the time scale - just take your time. By the way I’m a little envious of your setup…

Which one?

The fact that you have amps and recording equipment! I myself have one table, a laptop, monitors and a guitar!

Even though the tracks are from a DI , in the end you would not know if the final track was a real amp, a processor, or a plug-in.

1 Like

I’ll definitely try out the guitar tracks in the mix contest, but I also wanted to try out my own GP-10’s guitar modelling as well. Again - no pressure for anybody to have to record stuff and no hurry to get any of this done.

1 Like

I think @Fishmed’s idea of using the contest files is really excellent. Ready made test files on tap immediately, just what you need!

2 Likes

Hi,

Looking forward!

I can try to help if it’s still needed.

Cheers!

Thanks - basically I’m gong to try with the Personality guitars, although we’ve all no doubt heard them about a thousand times each. Basically if somebody would record some simple chord progressions / rhythms / licks (using traditional recording methods) I want to try out my GP-10’s guitar and amp modelling and see if people can actually spot the difference.

I’ll check back sounds interesting.

Alrighty. Got a good six or seven amps rounded up, and the rig is set up. Gonna actually try this in the next few days.

Cool! That’s great my friend. So the idea is that nobody will hear any recordings until the real and virtual amped guitars are both recorded. I’ll then present them to the forum and people can then give their opinions as to which recording is which.

On a technical note - it would be good to have some playing with chords - arpeggios and picked notes. Just so that I’ve got nowhere to hide when it comes to recreating the “real” guitar sounds.

Thanks again!

@madpsychot I posted some clips here…some are “clean”…maybe useful.

http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/mesa-boogie-cabclone/797