A Good Chance, next new laptop test

My son wanted me to do an upbeat song that celebrated the new POTUS and new year, and I had actually wanted to do that anyway, not dwelling on you know who or whom. And this is it. Also it is the first song on the new laptop since I fixed my ASIO for the vocals.

I did not use ReaFir on the vocals, so I think I do have some AC and fan noise, but I feel it isn’t too bad and maybe avoided the oddball squeaks of noise cancellation that often arise. I used Boz Manic Compressor Clean Vocals 1 and Provocative Default only. Those VSTs seem to do a bunch of things in bundles, so I just go with what sounds good to me. The track was very low volume naked. I also tried to sing in the center in stereo. I once saw the Dead live using two mics, and I thought that was for stereo, and that is likely why I do what I do; however, I now know that was for speaker feedback cancellation at them time which later was handled with more advanced hardware/software.

Anyway, I am hoping I don’t disturb anyone this time and moreover lift all spirits in need of lifting.

A Good Chance by Steve Bancroft

There’s a good chance that we’ll make it
For a while I had my doubts
Felt the world was closing in on us
Suffocating us with no way outs

But now we’re both vaccinated
Though South Africa and Brazil
As new mutations are invading us
Pose new problems, but even still

There’s a good chance we’ll get through this
That is just the way I feel
And it’s nice to feel this optimistic
Been a long time on a bumpy road too real

The sky looks bluer already
The air smells a bit more sweet
Like music in the distance makes you want to dance
There’s a good chance we’ll be dancing in the street

There’s a good chance the worst is behind us
Nothing’s certain, there is no guarantee
And maybe new civilities will remind us
Of better times and the way it used to be

And though there’s still a lot of struggle
I think that we will make it, come what may
There’s a good chance we’ll dance the night away

There’s a good chance that we’ll make it
For a while I had my doubts
Felt the world was closing in on us
Suffocating us with no way outs

The sky looks bluer already
The air smells a bit more sweet
There’s a good chance we’ll be dancing in the street

3 Likes

the vocals are already sounding clearer. You can likely just turn them up or bring the instrumentation down, whichever you prefer. Then a plate reverb should be good enough.

AC and Fan noise isnt bothersome.
removing ReaFir from the chain might have been a good idea, I think it was making your vocals sound muted down and also making them sound distant and unintelligible.

as for recording, you could record mono perhaps

Thanks, Michelle! I added Boz Imperial Delay ache01 with dry turned up a small amount. I think that is like a plate reverb with some extra volume. I am not sure what the difference between ache01 and the other aches aside from some tiny differences, so I went with the one that seemed less intrusive. I hope this is close to what you were imagining.

1 Like

yes its definitely an improvement. You can now turn all the backing instruments down by 1db in the busier parts (2:44ish acoustic guitar specially) as they are still a bit loud and then I think it should be pretty good. Nice work :slight_smile:

Wow! I was just saying to myself, I bet those instruments are about a decibel too loud!

Not really! But I really do appreciate and value your opinion, Michelle. If I ever get my next Covid relief check I might be interested to pay you to listen to @ingolee and me and @Stan_Halen’s Planet of Beautiful People sci-fi musical. It is probably at least a couple decibels off in several places, and then some. We would even make you an official Interstellar Fur Trader if you actually fixed anything! I think we’ll be ready to tackle it in the spring or summer.

1 Like

sounds like a fun project!

Sound like Dave Bowie

That is a compliment to me, Alan!