5 Mixing Mistakes That Are Easy To Fix (from Steven Slate)

5 Mixing Mistakes That Are Easy To Fix (from Steven Slate)
0.0 0

Here’s a video that Steven Slate just posted. Curious to see if you find it helpful or have anything to add.

Barely into this, but what the heck is he mixing on?? Like a 60 inch touch screen? Sorry, I was distracted. :slight_smile:

… and look at that circular mixing console! Wow! It looks like he should be in a Star Trek movie.

Shouldn’t he be wearing a white suit and gloves in that clean room?

Man, he’s intense too! I’m sorry, what was the question again? :grin:

Lol @miked

Yes this is helpful. Those 5 tips are part of the basic rules I know but I must admit I still forget to actually apply them regularly, especially referencing while mixing.

As for #5 I think it has to be tempered though. The vast majority of amateurs and even some beginner professionals don’t have the budget for a proper acoustic treatment. Also, I do believe it is possible to make great sounding mixes in a poor sounding room but it takes a LOT of trial and error and experience.

That’s a Z3 with two Mti 2’s on the wings. $25k-$30k

Here’s another one with 5 more essential mixing tips:

Mistake #6 - not having $100k plus to spend on all the things that you need to make a good mix (!)

Maybe he was a bit too emphatic about making the room “perfectly” tuned, but I totally agree with him on making one of the very first investments be sound treatment. A problem room will never sound good so it’s pretty hopeless to be able to know what one is hearing under such conditions. If you’re a handy type, you can make great progress for only a couple hundred US, and even if you’re totally incapable in that regard (like me!) you can still purchase great treatment for about a grand, give or take. @Paul999 made this point in our interview segment, that lots of people will think nothing of springing $1200 for another guitar, but won’t consider that same outlay for room treatment.

Yeah, you can get by with trial and error, but damn that’s going to be frustrating… not to mention time consuming! I sure don’t have enough time as it is to burn up a bunch of it needlessly.

The tip in this vid I have the most trouble accomplishing is #1: hearing what you’re after in your head before you start. I lack that kind of vision, I’m always sort of figuring it out as I go. Maybe it just takes a lot of experience to get to that point, but there’s got to be a piece of it that is native ability (that I clearly don’t have). And for those of us who are doing all the parts (tracking thru mixing & mastering), it’s kind of like the “mix as you go” conundrum that @Cristina is talking about in her recent thread. It’s very rare that I haven’t made a decision to really change the approach of a project partway through. Has happened almost every time!

Interesting video, but I would probably benefit more from a tutorial called “5 Tracking Mistakes That Are Easy To Fix” :grinning:

I just read a few articles on his bio, he really ran with his passion. I got in super late and he just seemed like a pushy salesman barking dog but dang, respect…Nirvanas Nevermind got him going…

the video I was waiting for R2D2 to walk in with some cola…or maybe coke…but in all that whiteness shouldnt he be wearing a storm trooper outfit?