20% Discount Code at JRR

Good discounter if you have never used them! In addition to this one-time code, if you ever buy from them, always try out the code “forum” and “group” to get even more of a discount. :slight_smile:

https://www.jrrshop.com/features/the-great-crash/

The Scheps Omni Channel and Abbey Road Chambers from Waves are on sale at the moment… Lots of other plugins too!

I highly recommend this one if you’re looking for a good all around saturator. It doesn’t work on everything, but what does??

https://www.jrrshop.com/black-rooster-audio-vpre-73-vintage-preamp-emulation

Saturator…The VPRE-73 plug-in is inspired by one of the most classic preamps in recording studio history. While streamlining the original processor, we did our best to bring you an authentic emulation of the discrete preamp circuitry and audio transformers, but also retained the famous high shelf filter band. The VPRE-73 provides you with the low-end magic, the high-end sparkle and just the right amount of THD required to recreate a unique and classic vibe.
After that read I have no idea what it is used for. Do you play your guitar through it. Does it give you a “wet” sound? ha ha Old and dumb here :slight_smile:

You can add a distortion/saturator to just about anything. The saturation can bring out high end detail, mid frequencies, drums, or help the bass cut through a mix better.

If you’ve got a L/R panned stereo guitar, you can add this to one side to get a different sound and a bigger stereo image.

You can use it to add sizzle to a lead part.

This one might actually sound pretty good your vocals. The high pass filter (12dB/Oct at 80Hz) and the high shelf filter makes this great for vocals. It’s a little grittier than others when you crank it, but just dial it in until you can barely hear it. Then toggle it on/off to see which you like better.

I’ve been collecting saturation plugins over the last couple of years. It’s nice to have different flavors. This one and the Kush OmegaN and Tweaker are among my favorites at the moment.

@Jonathan and I had a brief discussion awhile ago on using saturation. I’m sure he can add something here too.

You need to send this great explanation to them. I might have to dive in. Thanks bud

1 Like

You were probably one of those kids that put a fuzz tone on his guitar and scared the horses. The neighbors said “Poor Mrs. Feaker, what’ll she do with that boy?”

1 Like

I’m sure the neighbors are STILL saying this, only it’s a different Mrs. Feaker. :grinning:

2 Likes

I played fuzz tone last Sunday with my band smokin smoke on the water. On my knees with a severe back bend…they helped me up afterward.

5 Likes

Saturation plugins run the gamut from very subtle colouration all the way through what can essentially be used as guitar amp simulators. Fabfilter’s “Saturn/Saturn 2” is an example of a plugin that does all of those shades.

THD refers to “total harmonic distortion”, a figure which was often quoted in the days of hi-fi systems to boast about how little the particular hi-fi or hi-fi component had. It was considered an undesirable thing in that context.

However, in a modern digital context, modelling THD is often a desirable thing, because of the sense of “weight”, “warmth”, “realism”, “depth” or whatever other term you choose to use (insert applicable marketing term here to describe something sonically desirable).

Saturation is basically distortion. Generally speaking in audio land speak though, “saturation” as a term tends to be synonymous with the very subtle to subtle distortion imposed by traditional analogue circuitry and components like transformers and valves (tubes), and analogue tape.

Apart from the effects mentioned above, one of the most significant, desirable qualities of saturation (that I don’t think has been mentioned yet) is it’s ability to deal with sharp transient spikes in a digital context.

Because saturation absorbs transients so effectively, sounds like drums, percussion, acoustic guitars, pianos (basically anything that has a percussive, transient element) can be effectively made to sound “louder” and take up less headroom in the mix overall. It effectively “shaves off” the spiky transient with very little negative effect. As a result, the “body” of the sound can be turned up louder without reaching 0dB full scale, causing it to sound “fuller” and “louder” compared to the same sound without saturation, but with a much lower peak level.

The cumulative effect of using subtle saturation across many elements in a mix is that you end up with much more headroom overall. This means a mix that has been created using these methods has far greater overall “loudness potential” than one that hasn’t.

For example, if you manage to save 3dB of headroom across an entire mix by using this relatively benign and subtle method, your mix has the potential to be turned up an extra 3dB, which is a very noticeable difference. Save 10dB of headroom, turn up your mix 10dB and it will subjectively appear to be twice as loud.

This is one of the secrets as to why professional mixes appear to be so loud. Yes, they are mastered very loud, but the “loudness potential” is built into them from the start, so the mastering engineer doesn’t have to work as hard.

This is also the reason why many audio engineers struggled to move from the analogue realm to the digital early on. Many didn’t clearly understand (in a technical way) just how much all of these analogue components were saturating and softening transient material, both during the recording, mixing and mastering processes. They just perceived the results as “not as good”, so digital got a bad rap.

Thankfully, these days we have an abundance of processors that can model these effects and give us great results. It just comes down to understanding what they can do and making it work.

4 Likes

Ok bud, tell me you googled and copied this. If you didn’t, you are way too smart :slight_smile: The good thing, is that simpletons like me get a huge boost just by hangin out with yawl. Why is this so cheap? If I knew how to get these into studio one and get them to work, I would buy a bunch. I have many in downloads just sitting there waiting. Reverbs, etc. KISS keep it simple stupid comes natural after 60. ha ha Hope you are virus free and happy.

1 Like

Hey Paul, you also have other distortion/saturation options already in Studio One. The Softube Saturation Knob, Redlight Distortion, and Bit Crusher come to mind. You’re have S1 Artist right? I’m not sure which of these come with Artist…

Hi Mike I have studio one 2, whatever that means? I will check to see if i have those. thanks bud