You might have heard this One Before

I’m feeling a bit harangued here, so no thanks, I’m done.

I do apologize if you truly feel that way. Maybe I did get a bit frustrated with some of your responses on this thread and some others and spoke freely. Well kinda your fault for stirring things up with the IRD is dying thread and bringing me back lol.

As usual, typing as I listen and haven’t read the comments.

Holy sht!!! That opening. The hamrinies just go on and on. Is that all done without trickery? If so, double holy sht!"

Love the sound of it all! I gotta ask, has the kick got Boz’s Sasquatch on it? It has some serious bottom end to it! Works well with the bass, which I assume isn’t reaching the depths of the kick.
Are the drums acoustic or samples? Whatever the case, I am in love with that tom sound. Bog but gentle which would be a tough balance to get although, of course, much credit would be going to the drummer too!

I got nothing but praise for this. Not a thing to suggest. Is this you, a client, a set of stems you mixed as a challenge? I’ll go read the other comments to see if I can find out but I have not heard it before… But I hope to again!

Isn’t that funny, I thought the exact opposite. In fact I was excited BY the fact that it went longer, much longer than I anticipated. Once I noticed it went longer than expected, I was pleasantly shocked to have it continue on significantly longer still. That was, to me, a sign that this is likely to be a cracker of song - mayeb subconsciously because it’s not the norm, or maybe because it was just so impressive and pleasant to listen to.
Gotta love creativity and subjectivity (and Emma! :wink:)

1 Like

That depends what you count as trickery, I suppose…
There is a little bit of editing and tuning on some of the notes, but nothing is artificially generated, if that’s what you mean… Just lots of layers of harmony - 27 tracks in the intro alone!

Thanks! :blush:

No, not on this one. It actually wasn’t needed. The drummer supplies me with a sub-kick track, and that is supplying the low-end welly.

The only sample augmenting the drums is a smidgen of snare during the choruses only. It is actually really subtle. It is mainly to open up a roomier, more open sound, as it is feeding the snare reverb. In fact, I experimented with adding other, less subtle samples, and then discarded the idea, as they only seemed to detract from the sound of the drums, rather than enhance them.

Thanks - always great to get positive feedback.

This is from my (ie “FytaKyte”) forthcoming (2nd) album - I’m working on song #7 of 10 as we speak.

Thanks Dan! I really appreciate the listen and the comment!

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Andrew.

I forgot all about the old sub kick trick.

Yeah, I was wondering if there were layers of maybe some chorus or split second, tuned delays and the like. But it sounds great and natural so I think it is just the fact that there are so many layers that adds the layer of mystery to it.

Cool. i’ve been meaning to check out the first album in more detail. I have about 50+ things on my bandcamp wishlist. I spend more time adding to it than listening to the wishlist and culling or purchasing. Yours is in amongst that bunch.

Got an estimate for when it might be done (is it EVER really done???!!!)

1 Like

I’ve made a bit of a dent in it recently - Had some long service leave, and since there is nowhere to go atm, that’s been good for productivity… and if we keep getting lockdowns, who knows how much I might get done! :man_shrugging:

I’d be super happy if I could get something out by the end of the year, but I think that is a stretch, since I’ll be back at work soon.

1 Like

really digging it. as usual it is solid and groovy. I do find that one line in the intro “seems to be” with the one vocal seems to jump right to the front and I found it a little jarring. I am guessing that was your intention and if so well done. If not you could pull it back a bit, neither good or bad just what struck me all three times through. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Another good one Andrew! Love the arrangement and the catchy chorus and amazing mix. The pause/fill into the solo is killer as is the solo. GREAT sound on that guitar! I like the short echo on that intro guitar too.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. Yeah, as I said to Emma, I’ll live with this version for the moment, and see if I still like it in a few months time. The passage of time often helps me with perspective. Cheers!

Thanks Mike - I appreciate the listen and the kind comment!

1 Like