Windows 10 or 7?

500 gigs is pretty ample for having it all one the one SSD, at least for me – mine is also 500 and I have a little under 200 free with everything on there. Please keep us posted, looking forward to hearing how it all turns out! :+1:

1 Like

I will! I’m wondering if I should wait till black friday? I might be able to get stuff on sale and save some money.

1 Like

You’re bound to save some bucks. Perhaps it would be worthwhile coming up with a couple of alternatives for your components, that will still play well together, in case the specific ones you have listed here don’t get much markdown. Given that BF is just weeks away, could well be worth the wait.

1 Like

Windows 10 wiped our my firewire drivers with Creators update, so the mandatory updates are a mess. Not sure if there is a way to block that. Until that happened I was zipping along nicely on a Studio One Win10 system.

I used o&O ShutUp10 to rid Windows 10 from some of its built-in pesky intrusive programs:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Don’t think you can remove Cortana, and no matter what you do there is still telemetry and other data leaks to M$.

1 Like

Would you recommend me turning off the automatic updates? I’ll check out that program, thanks for the tip.

Auto updates in W10 are a bone of major contention in geekdom, to be sure. A recent major update to build 1903 seems to have borked many people’s network adapters, at least for a week or two until they got it sorted out. So yeah, things like that can happen. So far for me, knock wood, no issues. But I don’t use firewire or thunderbolt of other newfangled gimcrackery, my interface is a PCIe card + breakout box setup (Creative EMU 1616m).

And I’ve built something like six machines now since W10 came out, with only one issue at all during all that time: On my main machine, it could not get past 60% of the update process from v1809 to v1903, no matter what I did, and I had to do a full reinstall of the OS. Fortunately it left all my stuff intact – it definitely helped that My Documents and all the other personal file storage was on my HDD platter and not the system drive, as I described above.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I always back things up if worse comes to worse. I might just update the latest windows then turn automatic updates off. This is what I did with windows 7. However, If I understand correctly, microsoft now forces some updates? Maybe the software posted above can sort this?

If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can use Group Policy to turn off automatic updates.

1 Like

Nope. WIndows 10 Corporate only, I have Pro and it’s not there afaik.

I am still holding out with WIn7 but I know I’ll have to move soon.

Probably will keep all updates locked up via 3rd party firewall, so far been using Comodo and you can customize it to block all kind of built-in OS and other snoops. It is a surprise to see how many programs are “dialing out” on regular basis.

Sonar, Studio One always try to dial home when opened.

1 Like

Disabled on my Win 10 Pro machine at work, I followed these instructions:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.
  3. Navigate to the following path: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.
  6. Click the Apply button.
  7. Click the OK button.

NOTE: While automatic updates remains disabled, you can still download and install patches manually from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking the Check for updates button.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I ordered windows 10 pro.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to check into that to verify that it works on non-corp versions.

2 Likes

UPDATE: Ok I got the computer built and windows 10 pro installed and updated. So far everything is running fine. Now I have to install cubase and all my plugins etc. Hopefully I won’t run into any problems!

2 Likes

Yeah!! Great news. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! so far everything is working great. The rme 400 runs flawlessly and cubase 8.5 is working just fine. I have recorded some wav files and everything sounds great. Hopefully all my plugins and virtual instruments will play nicely too!

2 Likes