Wide Panning Toms in recordings

I have no problem with super wide drums - it can sound a little weird in headphones if there’s not SOMETHING in both sides for every drum, but generally there is from the OHs or the room mic, so go for it if you feel like it. Wide drums are no better or worse than, say, wide piano. So long as the snare and kick are mostly centered. Getting those panned bothers me for some reason.

I do the same. Follow the OH image is the starting point. If you pan far from this position, IMHO you start creating some confusion in the balance of the mix, because anyway your toms will sound in that position in the OH and wider or more central in the direct mic you have panned. This may occupy some space that could be used to other instruments.
I am not sure about that, but if you differ much the position of the direct mic and the OH or even the room, you may create some phase problems.
ujAbout what you have said that read something about the perception of intermediate positions are preceived as LCR, I also read that and the reason, if not wrong, is that many people are not listening to songs from reference monitors and from the sweet spot position. Anyway, I believe that if we are mixing we have to position the best we could in the space. And I am refering to hight, width and deep. If the person will listen to in a cheap headphone, in their car or in a high quality surround sound in their home, the sound must consider that.
Also just my thoughts.