Why do your songs suck?

I agree with you about your songwriting skills. I’ve been a fan of your stuff for quite some time now man! :slight_smile:

When you add a certain amount of self-delusion and narcissism, couple that with a lack of proper musical training, all kinds of fun situations arise :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the music scene here is so thin that it is “slim pickins” in the real sense of the word.

@LazyE I realized that I just have too much musical material that I want to record and finish, if I were to nitpick every production decision, I won’t get any songs written. My main problem is that I have to switch hats from musician to engineer all the time and after a certain song is written there is little patience to spend as much time on the mix on it. I burn out quick nowadays. On this next album I am using a studio and let the engineer sort it. It might be liberating for a change to get someone else to worry about the sonics so I can just play. It could end up a disaster…but it’s only money, right?

Haha, thanks. I have a fan! Lol
I wish i could find time get my new stuff recorded but at the moment i only go in my studio when i need to chase a 3 year old out for bashing my guitars! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Getting the music completed has not been much of an issue, it’s getting the vocals done, that’s the hardest part for me. I feel a great vocal melody and performance can really take a song to the next level, so I take my time with it, sometimes too much time.

3 Likes

I can definitely say that lyrics are my biggest challenge. For the longest, I have written songs very quickly and kinda went with whatever came out if it seemed relevant. However, I’ve watched more and more interviews of my songwriting heroes and they are more deliberate with word choice. Sure, I may have some natural talent but songwriting really is a craft so I have to hone my skills. The music comes very easily and I’ve used that as a crutch so that I can be lazy in a sense.

I have been reading a couple of books written by Berklee’s Pat Pattison about song structure/form and lyrics. I’m also enrolled in a course on writing lyrics online through Berklee. Just a week in, my mind is being blown by how much brilliant stuff I’ve been missing for the last 20 years!

2 Likes

I hear you…my 2 year old son is a little tornado!

Stumbled on to this again today. I feel like every time I write something, it is great as I hear it in my head. Getting it out of my head and completed lately is an exercise in frustration.
My current lack of motivation is embarrassing. I get out the guitar and play 6 or 7 songs I’ve completed, and then another one or two pop up. I’m a one man band that needs to kick myself in the rear end.

1 Like

Make sure you put Boz’s Sasquatch on that kick…!

1 Like

I’ve got a ton of music projects going on and some are very close to completion but I’m finding myself unusually unmotivated to work on my recordings. I’m trying to trick myself into feeling motivated.

Now as somebody who’s released exactly zilch songs to the public, I speak with all the authority of some fool who noodles around in their cough - cough studio whenever he has time away from two nutty daughters and a full time job.

When I was in Uni, I used to spend my nights just writing music. I had a crappy old 286 PC that creaked and rattled, but armed with a copy of Fasttracker II, and a bunch of samples that I’d stolen off CD’s using Windows Sound Recorder, and feeding the microphone input directly from the headphone output of my CD drive. Good days!

My output for a few years consisted of about 30 songs that still hold up to this day. They are all instrumental, all based on samples and programmed in using codes in Fasttracker. Somehow, those early 90’s songs survived all these years and are now saved on the Cloud forever.

Fast forward some 30 years, and I struggle to fix 4 bars of a song I’ve been working on for 3 years. But quoting the great philosopher of our time - Arnold Schwarzenegger - “Please don’t be that hard on yourself. We all go through challenges, we all go through failure. Sometimes life is a workout.” But I’m not going to be so hard on myself. When I sit down and think about my normal day - cooking - cleaning, running after kids, working, maintaining the house, I’m less inclined to beat myself up over a song that I haven’t finished. I would still love to go to my “studio”, press record and John Mayer the hell out of a solo, but most days I make incremental moves, such as learning to put a high pass on a channel to clean it up a little! But that’s ok - because Arnie told me not “to be that hard on yourself”

1 Like

I hear ya Bob. I think (and who cares) playing your own instruments is a big plus. When I get bored with my new stuff, I go back to the old and put in some fills and redo things that were done poorly in haste originally. Terrible sentence that one. I just got a new trigger cone for my roland snare and going to do some of my own percussion. That is a blast in itself. the best to you

It’d be awesome if you could share some key tips you pick up along the way!! :beerbanger:

1 Like

I write a lot of songs, and with midi and my amateur voice am able to quickly produce a lot of fairly listenable product that I can share online or wherever.

So in a private discussion, it was suggested that maybe I should consider going back and polishing up some of my best songs, you know, taking them to the next level.

I thought about it, and yesterday ended up writing a new song about it. To me, it doesn’t exactly suck, but it is like a private joke amongst songwriters, so in a way, as a song to release to the general public, I do think it sucks, but as a valid song I kind of still like it! It may be my all time favorite…

I Had To by Steve Bancroft

I had to
I didn’t have a choice
I was at the mercy
Of an inner voice

I had to
I never had a chance
The unknown song
Was asking me to dance

I know I should be doing something else
This was not really a priority for the plan
Instead of adding another brand new tune