Which song changed your outlook on music / sound?

For all - a playlist of the 5 nights plus the documentary:

1 Like

Give it a while and theyā€™ll resurface on BBC4 in the near future no doubt as the station tends to be on a bit of a loop - not that Iā€™m complaining!

Actually some of the best stuff on BBC4 for me is the Whistle Test repeats. Surprising how eclectic they were sometimes: "Well that was Suzi Quattro with Can the can, now Ghtwecrydh an experimental folk metal band from Bulgaria with Tomorrow cannot be instead of my mind
:smirk:

1 Like

.[quote=ā€œStan_Halen, post:16, topic:882ā€]
I sense a paradox there ā€¦[/quote]
(Think priest with thick Irish accent) ā€œAh that it is my son, that it is!ā€
(Or Yoda with a Yoda accent) "Ah the force is strong in you"
A paradox that somehow worked itself out in the making of this song. Feeling, intuition and indeed the idea of something bigger than us, all that stuff seems on the opposite end of scientific theory. But this personal connection with my mother fits in perfectly with the scientific explanation that half of my genes (and quite a lot of my behaviour) stem from her. It was this song that connected the brain halves somehow. Thatā€™s what music can do for you, is what Iā€™m saying

2 Likes

Indeed, music has the effect of activating the most areas of the brain at the same time, so both analytical and creative ideas and tasks can all make sense simultaneously.

In our culture, we tend to view intuitive and scientific at polar opposites on the spectrum But I believe we can overcome that with deep insight. Itā€™s a form of ā€œdualityā€, as with much of human senses and perceptions.

1 Like

just talking about that over beers last nightā€¦

Rock n Roll Led Zepplin, and article on his 15+ guitar overdubs was the first time the ā€œlightā€ went off on why everyone who attempted playing this song never got it right, something was always missingā€¦then you find out he used 15 overdubs or some shitā€¦and there was this new term ā€œoverdubā€ for me. wtf? is an overdub?

2 Likes

There were a lot of songs I liked as a young musician (started playing in a ā€œbandā€ at age 9 (keyboardist), and was playing sock hops/proms by 13 (bassist/keyboardist) and in bars by 15 (bassist). I listened to, and learned to play a LOT of songs. Grew up on Cream, Raspberries, Sabbath, Nillson, Yes, ELPā€¦just a huge variety (and, BTW, most of the bar scene where I grew up was country, so learned a lot of that, too). I took music lessons and learned tons of classical music on the piano from age 4 until I graduated high school. I played bass for the jazz choir, keys for the jazz band (and solo improv, doing a jazz/honkey tonk kinda vibe that judges really liked :slight_smile: ). Lots of background. Had a quad system and Whoā€™s Quadrophenia and They Only Come Out At Night on quad vinyl (several others, but those were the only two I rememberā€¦)
What really rocked my world and got me actually LISTENING to music was Children of the Sun from Billy Thorpe. When I first heard this thing on the stereo in my car, I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY at the production of the drums, all the stereo instruments and echoes and overdubs and multi-layer vocals.

1 Like

Wow, now thatā€™s a blast from the past! I remember WMMS ā€œThe Buzzard in Quadā€ was the Cleveland radio station I grew up on and learned what ā€˜realā€™ music was. I didnā€™t have quad though, but my radio station did and I thought that was kick ass. :sunglasses:

Billy and COTS was awesome, nice memory also. I got to see him live on that tour, in a modest theatre environment. I was like 5th row or something, and I could literally see him picking each string, the muted ones between the chords. He had a bunch of backup singers too, really flamboyant guy singers (if you get my drift ā€¦). It was only years later I realized he was from Australia.

Light Up The Sky is a great song! I love what Alex Van Halen does on the drums in the middle of the tune. Brilliant!

Sounds like my former life in a nutshell. That CD was one the first true demo discs that came out for CD, and could very easily fry tweeters with dynamic range when they were driven by a crappy little receiver. I remember demoing it for people in a small speaker room through some Klipsch Cornwalls, and after the little piano figure led to the big bass/drum explosion, the fragrance of the room would change every once in a while. That kind of became the standard demo, unless you put on the 1812 Overture and destroyed whatever speaker you were playing.
The song that changed my musical outlook was Still Raininā€™ Still Dreaminā€™ off Electric Ladyland by Jimi. A friend and I had made some questionable choices during the evening and decided to retire to his room with two sets of headphones on. The intense panning and swirling wah wah guitar riffs made a lasting impression on me as I lay on my back with the sun coming up, with little Jimi heads popping up in my mind coinciding with the panning. House Burning Down was like that too. After a couple of hours of that, I was ready to walk the block and a half back to my house before the parents woke up and try to figure out how to make that noise on my Teisco five pickup Strat copy with fourteen knobs and flatwound strings.

1 Like

I hate to sound predictable, but my sister played me Stairway to Heaven when I was about 11. I told her it was rubbish but about a week later I had an uncontrollable urge to hear it again. To coin a phrase, the rest is historyā€¦

1 Like

How unlike you, Adrian!:grimacing:

2 Likes

You read me like a book Andrew.

2 Likes

The whole of Electric Ladyland - my god that album messed me up completely. What I would give to go back in time and watch that album being produced and mixed!

Yeah, seems like whenever a Hendrix track came out posthumously it would never come close to the guitar sounds he got with Eddie Kramer at the desk. Granted, most of that was probably intended as demo material, but the production was very obviously a big part of the voodoo in his best stuff.

It blew my mind too, but right from the getā€“go. So many great momentsā€¦ the acoustic intro, when the drums come in, that D-Dsus on the electric 12 string, followed by the soloā€¦ truly one of the great all time songs. If we hadnā€™t all heard it played to death, itā€™d be in nearly ever conversation of the best ever (even more than it already is). Not the songā€™s fault it is so great!

1 Like

A lot of songs changed things at different times. My Zep awakening was when A whole lotta love was on the radio first time. I was just 13. Till then it was Simon and Garfunkel and the Beatles for me. Iā€™m sure the song worried me. This was not about love, it was about sex, no it was sex. Raw sex, and it scared the hell out of me. But my hormones were coming into play, and deep down (way way down inside) I knew it was OK. I probably hated the song first, probably denied that it was music at all. But I couldnā€™t resist its power and was succumbed for everā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m in your age bracket too, but was too dumb to equate music with sex at the time. Zep certainly knew what they were doing, and brought a lot of teenagers along for the ride. I was so naive it took a few listens to get the whole squeeze my lemon thing, but once I did I was hell bent for leather and a Zep fanatic.

2 Likes

I was 12 when I first got Zepā€™dā€¦ it was right after IV came out. ā€œBlack Dogā€ was the song that made me need to learn to play guitar, and I then went back and got all their other stuff. I got the innuendo right off. :wink:

My older brother listened to The Stones, The Beatles and Pink Floyd. One day he walks into our room with Led Zeppelin II on Vinyl and the songbook along with it. I literally learned every song in that book, including the solos from The Lemon Song and Heartbreaker! Some poor fool had to have sat there and transcribed those note for note!

Itā€™s a Led Zeppelin love-in.