What is your fav acoustic guitar for recording?

@feaker Paul, my apologies, typo! Should have been DCPA-1. I’m editing my post as soon as I hit send on this.

This specific model has been discontinued, but they have successor models, and I’m sure you could find one used (although I would never EVER give mine up!). Here’s the direct link:

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/discontinued-guitars/dcpa1-plus/

And Nashville tuning doesn’t just crank up the strings an octave, again, my bad, should have been clearer. Back in the '30s, some of the original Nashville cats wanted the chimy, jangly sound of a 12 string, but couldn’t afford one. So they got a set of 12-string strings, and used the octave strings to replace the low strings on a regular 6-string. When you play one of those with a regular dreadnought-style 6, it’s a really cool sound, something I’ve done many times in my stuff. Nowadays you can just buy “highstrung” or “Nashville tuning” sets of strings that are designed that way from the get-go.

Hope that helps!

Here’s one of my tunes where the highstrung guitar is by itself right at the start, an instrumental called No Chime to Lose. Our own @Jonathan contributed killer Hammond B3 to this, totally makes the tune. BTW the Stones used a highstrung guitar for the very beginning of Wild Horses (it’s on the left with the 12-string on the right).

Man that is just beautiful. This is movie stuff and what an unusual sound. Got the keys goin too. One forgets how that can fill.
Like the tone of the lead and the bends. Hope this found a home.
I get it now about the tuning. Really tough to get a different sound that turns a head or ear? :slight_smile:

Yup, gonnna find a Martin bud.

Thanks for all of this and good talking with you.

1 Like

Hi Ingo That is just wild. Just so weird, after all these years, I haven’t heard of that. thanks

I’ve noticed that some seemingling inexpensive Fenders from that era sound very good too. Could it have something to do with the age of the wood?

1 Like

Haaaaa! I SOOOOO remember that! Wow… that brings back memories. I think that was right before I lost everything in that studio fire. If I remember correctly it was the last recording I did with that Hammond (or one of the last anyway) before all my equipment got toasted.

scientifically, wood does gain strength as it loses moisture over the years. Hoping the guitar is kept well preserved and not exposed to moisture too much. I am hypothesizing that If wood gets stronger, it will affect the internal resonances of the sound box because with more strength and lack of moisture, the internal surface will be more reflective and less absorbent. Harmonics will not be dampened out as quickly and the guitar will feel more harmonically vibrant as it ages. That all depends on the upkeep of the guitar.

Otherwise known by guitarists the world over (less scientifically) as “mojo” :grin:

This is my baby “Suzi”. I acquired this old “Kiso” Suzuki (built in the Kiso factory in Japan) used, as a 10 year old in 1979, so we’ve been together for almost 42 years. The serial number suggests the age as mid to late 1970s. She’s been around the block and it has the battle scars to prove it. Not really collectable or valuable, (although as time passes it perhaps becomes more so as outlined here ) but she has helped me find many a song. Still records wonderfully (although she definitely needs refretting badly).

3 Likes

No, that’s massively scientific. :crazy_face: