Waves Tune (On Sale - $69)

I usually don’t like plugins with fancy UI that don’t let you see what they actually do, but I found this MM Tone Shaper quite handy when you want quick dynamics/multiband correction without spending too much time.

I have used Waves Tune Lite for a long time and always wanted to upgrade to the full version, mainly because the Lite doesn’t let you split notes besides its own initial splitting. I did take advantage of this Vocal bundle discounted price and got it from there.

1 Like

FWIW, I just ran a “de-esser” test on a mix:

1. Waves Renaissance DeEsser (my current go-to)
  2. Klanghelm’s VMUT Deluxe (I often use the “DynEQ” section for deessing)
  3. Sleepy-Time’s FREE Lisp64 (http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1662)
  4. MM TripleD (new)
  5. Scheps Omni (demo)

In my very amateur and subjective test, I thought the Omni and MM TripleD were pretty comparable and beat the rest. Ren DeEsser came in 3rd…

1 Like

Yeah, I suppose a particular de-esser could come first on a particular voice/mic combo and last on another. In my opinion it is best to have one that you know well and achieve consistent results with.

1 Like

Very good point!

1 Like

I got the bundle license key last night and I installed it this morning before I went to work. I hope to get a few minutes to play with it some time this week. lol

2 Likes

@miked, how did you do the test?

Ok. I don’t know ANYTHING about the mechanics of the algorithms in compressors. I honestly don’t understand how its even possible for a de-esser to sound different than another de-esser. Why can I not take a Fab Filter MB, a Waves C6, A Waves R-desser, a Waves DPR 402, a UAD SSL E Channel, and a Slate E2 and make them sound exactly the same. Can someone please explain how this is not anything but an entirely workflow related factor?

1 Like

Keeping it real. I love it. :smiley:

2 Likes

im 50…no need to lie about anything at this point.

Plus I never miss a good opportunity to put myself down since I will also proclaim my own genius at some point during the week.

Thats why I dont need to go to theme parks etc…just being a moody, perfectionist musician/songwriter/self producer is a daily roller coaster ride

2 Likes

I simply put the plugins on a channel in a mix I’ve been playing with. And yes, that is really what my test was, workflow. How quickly could I dial in something I thought sounded decent? As you said, you should be able to tame the sibilance with any number of tools. And with familiarity, you could do it quicker. Hence the disclaimer at the end of my “test”. :grin:

1 Like

Gotchya :smiley:

Quick tip: I make heavy use of the soloing feature one some De-Essers. The one that lets you listen to just the S and the T sibilance. When I first listen I say ‘What frequency is annoying me’? I adjust the DS, solo the sibilance, and say ‘Ok…now and I hearing that frequency that was just bothering me a second ago’.

Another tip, since you mentioned workflow if you already have a channel strip like a Waves SSL or a multi band compressor like a C6 already loaded on your vocal strip, many of these have functions that do the exact same thing since the de-esser is really a multi band EQ. When I hear a track that needs de-essing, its not uncommon for me to grab a compressor (Like a Waves DPR 402 or a UAD voxbox) that HAS a de-essing feature built in knowing that I’ll probably use it.

2 Likes

Nice. I’ll take any tips I can get as well. lol

I finally got some time today after work to play with Waves Tune for a bit. Once I figured out how to scan in a track, I figured out pretty quickly how to butcher a track. lol

But seriously though, what little bit I did was pretty cool.

I often use Nova, the (free) but excellent dynamic eq. I guess that does more or less the same thing as a multiband comp? I often have that on the vocal channel anyway, because you can quickly chose between simple e.q. and dynamic eq. Do other people use dynamic eq’s like Nova?