Song Writing Challenge 1

I probably should not be trusted to find the remaining pitch issues.

Yes, it is a VST guitar, UJAM Carbon, and as close as I can get to a real guitar! It has some knobs to adjust the finish and tone on lots of presets, and I gave it a lot of shimmer that leans toward the synth side. Since I don’t actually play a guitar, barely a keyboard, my choices note add to its synthiness vs guitariness, but I do like how it sounds in the mix. I envy your ability to play so well. It would be swell to have a real lead guitar…

I thought they were still loud enough, but I may revisit that. Maybe only drop them in spots, maybe they will be fine now that I adjusted other track volumes. It is so easy to overcompensate.

I experiment every time with effects as my natural voice is not naturally so good to me, especially with my recordings. Rather than resinging it to a new litany of errors, I usually try to patch it up and hope the music helps it out.

In my opinion, I would preferably recuse myself from any final arrangement and mixing, if not performing!

1 Like

Version 3-

OK, so here is another mix with the cellos 6db louder again, and a few pitch corrections, no timing changes. I agree, Wicked, the cellos sound better louder. I know exactly what you mean about the “mood” this song has. It cycles from major to minor, and that device is creating an angstful tension, I think, more when one considers the overlap of harmonics that goes on. I probably add notes that are briefly off a half note here and there in runs/trills, which I leave in though they look wrong. Some music demands perfect pitch, but not this one IMHO. That being said, love/music is the perfect imperfection, sometimes happy, sometimes sad, to paraquote Lowell George. Imperfection is one of my strongest fortes.

2 Likes

it is definitely a very unique way to represent the lyrics. I love the orchestral swellings you have in there. Eye opener for sure as I had not thought of that. If evanescence would sing it, it would likely be like “bring me to life” which is closer to the way you visioned it than how Avril would have done it (a bit spunky).

So I watched the video and a couple three from Avril, and I can definitely envision such types of treatment, Michelle. I’m a more slowed down James Bond song thing. But here is a last version 4-

With a harmony fake female vocal line. I’ve never tried this before, and it came out better than expected. I used ReaTune and ReaPitch.

Obviously I am very susceptible to the sublest suggestions.

1 Like

This makes a great Bond song for sure! How did you get a female vocal in there??
edit: does reapitch have voice profiles?

I just used the Gwen Stebani voice profile. My corny joke of the day!

No, ReaPitch only has shifters, one for semitones, and I added it to my male vocal track, shifted 3 semitones up, which affected the entire track, and then rendered that solo track to a new track in the project. Then I removed ReaPitch from the male vocal track and edited the new track with ReaTune, which works in spots, wherever required to get the correct harmony. I can hear how it isn’t right on everywhere, but it surprised me how female I sounded.

I tried going up an octave, but that made me a good chipmunk. I am now wondering if I could render the female track and turn it into another higher harmony, say 3 more semitones, or if it would not sound so realistic that high.

Cold Blood On My Lips sounds like a Bond movie title. The villain could be a megalomaniacal vampire aspirer.

1 Like

So just for grins, here is Version 5, feat. Gwen Stebani only-

I can really hear the off spots, but it does have a style ala Amy Winehouse or something. Makes me more able to imagine as a female sung song.

2 Likes