Slate Audio VSX System - Review/Results

Just bought mine… thanks to an overwhelming number of amazon gift cards :innocent:
will arrive in the new year.
#drinksthekoolaid

4 Likes

Cool, I hope you like it. Let us know how you go!

Well its here and first impressions are stellar just for the headphones without the modeling software.
Comfort level is well worth the $$ . I wear glasses so headphones are always tricky for me. This one was love at first wear!

Flat out Sound is a bit better than both my Audio Technica and Sennheiser Cans.
These work for me really well. The modeling software is just the cherry on top for me.
I start a mix usually on my Sennheiser, then double check in the AT, then check it in my studio to make the final adjustments. For me most changes I make in the studio are stereo response related and not necessarily any major changes but with the modeling software, hopefully I can make better progress in my PJs and cans :upside_down_face: before giving it the full treatment.

3 Likes

Cool, I’m glad I haven’t steered you wrong. I feel really bad when I have a good experience with something and someone takes my word for it, then hates it!

Rob over at AMC really hated these and sent them back. (At least he didn’t get them on my recommendation, than goodness!) He claimed it was because the headphones were bad and “cheap”. He was so outspoken about it that he had me really second-guessing my personal experience (which is ridiculous, I know)!

Like you, I have some pretty high end cans to compare them to, and my takeaway and experience was completely different to his. While I don’t think any other cans will be as comfortable as my Sennheiser HD650s, the charge of “cheap” and “bad sound” just doesn’t wash with me. I know what I hear, and that’s good enough for me.

he might like the Audeze instead, from what I have heard from interacting with a few mastering engineers is that there is a clear separation between those who prefer open back headphones vs closed back headphones. Those who have mixed with far field or midfields throughout their life, tend to prefer open back headphones, thats why I think some may prefer Audeze ( open back ) instead same as another friend of mine who owns both Audeze and Slate VSX. His workflow is Audeze first, then Slate then Mid fields with Attack wall then Far fields

1 Like