Rip me apart with your too bear hands

In terms of the EQ, I like to use a graphic EQ for making the initial round of surgical cuts. I’ve gotten used to the stock avid one. If this is the case, I put the graphic EQ in front fo the Omni. I usually activate the saturation in the omni channel first, get it sitting pretty then turn on the compressor. From there I assess what needs to happen next.

So the typical chain might be graphic EQ -> Omni drive -> Omni compressor -> Omni EQ. Then maybe add an LA2A limiter in the omni insert slot towards the back of the chain. Gates and de-essers can kind of live wherever in the chain.

Sometimes I put a limiter towards the front to really anchor the dynamics…like if I have a big out of control vocal then
EQ -> LA2A (in the omni insert) -> Omni Compressor -> Saturation -> Omni EQ (usually to dial out harshness)

The trick here is remember that its OK to only use what you need from that Omni channel. There are times when I place it on a track just for the saturation and leave everything else off.

1 Like

I use a lot of saturation, and have a pretty wide arsenal of drive plugins that get to different places. My go-to drive plugins are these:

HG-2

SPL Iron

VSM3

Decapitator

Devil Loc

Cascade

1 Like

Several ways to do this, Vaughan.

One way is to go to the action list and search for Explode multichannel audio or MIDI to new one-channel items. With the stereo item selected, run the action.

The action can also be found in the right-click item context menu in the item processing group of actions.

Another way you can do it is to create a duplicate of the stereo file, then right-click first file, go to item settings and choose Take channel mode: mono (left). Then right-click second file, go to item settings and choose Take channel mode: mono (right).

1 Like

Cool, you guys… def trying this explode thing- thanks to you both… thought I was goin nuts in mono when i could see the pairs of mics on the video…

P.S. you guys MIGHT have been in real trouble had I actually entered the competition, but I decided to cheat and add the video to my mixes instead, outside of it in Bash This where there are no rules… hah! Watch that space and weep… well, maybe.

Y’all know I’m more into mastering than mixing mixes, anyway. :shushing_face:

I know this has been up for awhile, but I’m just getting into the swing of things after trying my hand at the mix and posting it in BTR. I just see the one version on this thread so I assume you’re still working on that one. A lot of things sound really good to me on this. A lot of detail shows through, some cool stuff. It seemed like in some parts the mix is right-side heavy; mainly the synth parts later in the song, and one of the guitar parts like 1:00 - 1:25 and some other places. I hear a lot of those coming out of the right side speaker and not much on the left side to balance it out, if that makes sense. During the choruses the stereo balance seems good.

@Stan_Halen, yeah I was drinking Coronas while mixed mine, so made a few panning mistakes too… happy accidents as Bob Ross would say. I think I fixed them all by now. Well actually I probably changed most of the panning to match the video later… so maybe its still a bit odd balance wise, I dunno, can’t remember :beerbanger:

I mostly don’t care if its one sided slightly, I just like guitars to start on the left. Would have been better if the keyboard player was on the bass players side, for sure.

Thanks @Jonathan for the saturation suggestions, I always love spending more money on stuff, my wife will be impressed I’m sure. :slight_smile: