Pretty Poison remix at midpoint. how we sounding so far?

[quote=“Jonathan, post:21, topic:3149, full:true”]
? When you’re talking about panning position, you want to say stuff like hard left/middle/right, or 11:00 or 3:00. etc.[/quote]

im going by dead center = 0 then full pan = 100% so 44 would be about halfway out, 75 about 3/4 out

Hmm. Al Schmidt is known for really creative use of delay. I’ll pass on some pointers I learned from him on this.

So are you saying -100 is hard left, 1 is dead center and +100 is hard right? I would almost never go 44 and 75. If you have a stereo delay, you’re better off cancelling your left return and just putting the right side at 44 unless its in ping pong mode. In that case leave it hard left/right, then manipulate the returns by attenuating the sides.

If you want to get creative with delays another thing you can try is processing the left and right sides differently. Left returning a dotted eighth at 9:00 with bright distortion, and the right at 5:00 with some room reverb. Or pan your source hard right, then toss a mono delay on it, but return the delay tail with some modulation at 10:00 with a flanger on it.

Experiment with different feedback lengths. Long return on in the left speaker short slap returned to the right speaker. Or bright low-passed delay hard right, warm high-passed delay dead center. The possibilities are endless here!

Fabfilter Timeless 2 is one of the most complex and versatile delays ever coded. Izotope makes a super unique one too.

The @bozmillar Imperial and PSP 608 delays are a good blend of powerful but easy to use. It took me almost a month to wrap my head around Timeless 2.

1 Like

well i have nothing set in stone, ive just done whatever ive done out of a mixture of creativity and the bliss of ignorance

ears and mind is shot of course from mixing all day, threw together some vocal fx really quick

still havent put the lead gtr back in yet haha

mix 1

of all the things im clueless on, vocal fx is near the top

no automation yet either except turning down amb mic on tom fills hehe

edit, when i play it louder on monitors sounds like vocal is waaaayyy too hot?? maybe lacking some cymbals too. I generally have a running battle with my ride cymbals

mix 2 made several small adjustments

1 Like

Cool! So did you put all the guitars together on one bus?

What happens if you bring all the guitars down just a hair (say 2.5-4 db) and add some room reverb onto the send?

Can you add a second snare drum? If so, is it possible to take a similar sounding snare drum (or duplicate the one you have) transpose it down 5 - 7 half steps then blend it into the snare you already have in place at about 1 half the relative volume? Old trick from the 80’s rock era.

You’re almost there. I think the drums may be as far as you push them for now, given the limitations of that software. And that’s ok. You’re so far ahead of your last mix at this point, you be really really happy with how this is coming along!

The next problem is with the bass. What’s going on there? Do you have the thing going D.I into Reaper? What bass is it? And what sims do you have? Do you know how to use the multi-band compressor in Reaper? What do you have at your disposal for distortion?

1 Like

haha, mixed for a couple more hours. so whatever was said for those mixes probably wont relate to this mix hehe

We’ll see. Its bedtime though lol

added lead gtr back in. it might not work but maybe it will, hard to say, definite Skynyrd/Bad Co vibe

full mix 1

1 Like

Great sound bud. Too busy to read all the other remarks. Great guitar tone and a convincing vocal. Really liked the bridge and then the solo…oh yeah Congrats on this

Paul

1 Like

Full Mix 3, I guess we skipped mix 2 hehe

Full Mix 4, mix 3 only lasted about 90 seconds until I hated it, brought guitars down about 1.5ish db, flattened out low freq on master EQ

Full mix 5 lots of EQ work to give separation. Different lead gtr tone. Still needs plenty of automation

1 Like

Impressive! Fun to follow your progress on this. Good work!

1 Like

yeah its crazy how long this stuff takes. The song itself was just a one day wonder quicky job so the recording itself is nothing to great. Weak vocals, very weak lead guitar lol

But hopefully my mixing skills are SLOWWWLLLYYY improving and I can see how everything feeds off of everything else.

for instance I havent really felt like pouring my heart into songwriting and recording because I know full well i simply couldnt mix anything worth listening to. So i feel that if i can get my mixing up to an acceptable level then it will really open up the writing and recording aspects. Meanwhile of course im trying to maintain some semblance of singing and lead gtr chops lol

The ultimate of course would be to write songs from scratch with the production and mixing already in mind. Dunno if i’ll get there anytime soon but that would be the ideal

Nice progress - Definite improvement in the drums, guitars, vocals and overall sound.

The bass guitar is the main thing that is “raising its hand” is the bass guitar. It seems to be lacking midrange density and consistency to really drive the low end groove.

Compression can definitely help with the consistency, and a bass guitar can stand a surprising amount of compression.

Tone-wise though, the right amount of low-mids is the key. However, it can be difficult balance to achieve - too much and it will sound muddy. Saturation/distortion can help a great deal, because it can add harmonics above the fundamental, which enables the bass to be heard on virtually any set of speakers, and to fill in the frequency space between the bottom of the guitars and the kick drum.

Once again, good to see the progress you’ve made so far -keep at it!

2 Likes

I understand. Then pour your heart into doing a smaller part or individual element of the mix and getting that as perfect as you can. Pour your heart into getting your vocal chain down, or the time based effects on the vocals a well built as you can. Pour your heart into learning what saturation works and what types of imaging effects work best for you on vocals and BGV’s.

First step in mixing: Commit to doing something.

Its also raising its hand and saying ‘Mr JonJon, would you please turn down the other guitars???’

Agree! He’s getting better!

@Jon-Jon, the next place for improvement in your overall progress seems to be pointing at your gear. You may not have to buy anything, but just move some stuff around. What does your room look like, what is your monitoring chain, and where are your speakers positioned in the room? What is the distance between your speakers, and how high is the ceiling?

Your last 5 mixes are suggesting less than ideal placement of your monitors, and I suspect first reflection points haven’t been attended to. I wonder if a few minor tweaks (as in simply moving something somewhere) would help you hear some other stuff better.

1 Like