Please bash: Socially Distant

Alright, V5 in the OP. I went back to school and re-EQ’d the whole thing systematically, which is of course what the hell I should have done in the first place. I think I’ve improved several things:

• The harsh high end on the slapback echo: didn’t have a LPF there, as I’d thought; do now.
  • Carved space between kick & bass, swept the bass to remove a couple of rumbly frequencies
  • Swept both the guitars to tone down some honk, carve out room for low-mids more judiciously

In a/b, this last version seems pretty superior to all the others thus far. Sure do appreciate the suggestions!

Sounding a lot better now - nice work!

1 Like

Wow! That’s great Dave. Really solid. You even got a cowbell working in there. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I absolutely wanted to avoid someone suggesting that it needed more cowbell… :wink:

Sorry for my rather blunt bash Dave (I’m Dutch we’re famous for being blunt - not a very good excuse I know). Anyway: version 5 is certainly a lot better! I think I get the short delay effect, it’s part of the rock’n roll vibe and does sound sort of socially distant :wink: .The EQ moves did their job. The drums also sound like they’re in the same space now. Good song!

1 Like

Aef, you never have to worry about being direct when bashing my stuff! Like everyone else, you’re always constructive, and that’s how progress is made. I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment! :+1:

Holy smoke Dave - awesome!

1 Like

I think I had an EM-U 0404 or 1212m for many years many years ago, but it died with the Win 98 PC it was in. I tried a firewire M-Audio, but it did not like my laptop and changed the pitch of midi instruments. Very weird! Then I bought the Scarlett 2i2, don’t know the generation, and I’ve been so happy ever since. Stable, clean, great for the mic and guitar input for just me.

I listened to V1 and the last V5 all the way through, and I spot checked in between. Personally, I like V1 the best. Maybe it’s just louder, but it has a lot of rock attitude that got my attention right away. I thought the vocals were super clear and strong, and I had no trouble hearing the bass. Drums, not to be overlooked, were big and responsive to the music and punctuating the lyrics. Melody and riff were pure classic rock, and yet not so derivative I do not remember distinctly. That I can already hum this and probably play it in my mind is a good sign. That is what a classic rock song ought to do.

To me V5, although not a bad version, and probably better than 2-4 in most ways, still sounded too processed, too tamed, dare I say watered down. It went from ZZ Top La Grange to Dire Straits Money For Nothing- good but not nearly as driving. But I have to confess I am no audio engineer type, just an amateur listener/hobbyist musician, as my own songs expressly reveal.

Lyrically I really like what you did. It is so on target as folk rock for what we are all experiencing at this point in history, which is what folk music ought to do. I am going to share here soon my own coronavirus song, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a pandemic of them coming up soon. I’m waiting for the one about the guy who ran out of toilet paper and has to go to Wal-Mart just to use the restroom.

1 Like

I listened to this song for the first time, a few days ago, and the very first thing that stood out to me was the slapback delay on the vocal. I was thinking that the effect was too dialed up (too wet) and I thought it detracted from the song. I’m glad you did a few remixes and got that dialed back. The vocals sound better now. Before, they didn’t seem to sit well in the mix and I found the effect distracting, but now they sit well and they just sound much more “professional” to me.

This would be a good song to make a video for. Good lyrics with humour and very timely! I like the slide guitar. Solid vocals.

Really nice job, Dave!

1 Like

Why not make a competition out of it? Main prize (for all contestants): at least you won’t die of boredom. Only restriction: it has to include at least one line with “toilet paper” in it (which does not apply to Dave).

2 Likes