Please Bash: It's a Hurt

Well vocals are already really good, your voice tone is perfect for that. I was just hoping for a little bite here and there.

About the glass, how about replacing the first occurrence by something else then? It is the duplication that bothers me more than the ending, actually.

1 Like

Ah! Actually Iā€™m more likely to change the ending sound than the first one, which is precisely placed.
If I do, I might go for a big car crash at the end! :wink:

Hey ptaly. Love that start with the scratchy needle. Great vibe and you sing this one really with some feeling. Funky bass part. " my life" hits well. You sing it almost begees style??

Love it love it

Sincerely

Paul

1 Like

@ptalbot

Ooh Patrickā€¦ this is gorgeous!!!
Love the funkā€¦ I just read Paulā€™s comments and yes, there is a BeeGee senseā€¦ hehā€¦ who would have thought??? [grin] :grin:
SO many ear candies, hard to know where to startā€¦ loving all the fx, smooth cool vocals with a nice warmth that schmoozes me right in there.

For me, the whole mix has a wonderful cohesion sparkle and width and that funky bass noodles along in a very cool quirky way. There is a cool slightly off-kilter sense and that guitar solo is so very smokey-whiskey flavoured!! [cheesy grin emoticon]
I love the drums and find them funky and (after playing through earbuds and infinity speakers) everything feels seamless and in-its-place. The ā€˜itā€™s a hurtā€™ line is way coolā€¦ it catches my ear with itā€™s slight ā€˜wrongnessā€™ which gives it an edge that I like. That smashing sound is very cool but hey, a car crash at the end is another thought altogether - are you really going to try that??

Your vox work really well for thisā€¦ thereā€™s a melodic lightness and still a sense of connection with the lyrics, light, lilting and lovely innuendo with shifting shadowsā€¦ This is a track that grows upon listening, Iā€™ve listened a few times now and still find sonic treasures within, how cool is that?

Polished and scrumptious!

1 Like

Thanks Paul! Bee Gees now? :laughing: Ah! My falsetto is really not good, I tell you!

2 Likes

Aw thanks a lot Emma! Iā€™m glad you appreciated the ear candies.
I think thatā€™s whatā€™s taking me most of the time, when the song itself is more or less straight forward. I was worried with this one to make it too ā€œproducedā€ if you see what I mean. But at the same time, it kinda warranted that treatment.

Glad you like the vox. I was really not sure I could pull that one off. I was going to ask someone to do it, but you kind of pushed me to it, so there it is! :slight_smile:

Car crash, I donā€™t know. Weā€™ll see, after all, Iā€™ve already thrown the kitchen sink on this one, so why not? :wink:

Thanks again for listening and your never ending support! :beerbang:

1 Like

There may be a lot going on, but it feels really well balanced and ā€˜interestingā€™ to listen toā€¦ now thatā€™s a funny description but I love how it feels quite a simple song in some ways and yet there is a depth of stuff-going-onā€¦ hooks me in for sureā€¦ plus of course the contradiction between the pop vibe and the shadows in the sub textā€¦yay, love that stuffā€¦

And I think you did an awesome job with those voxā€¦ :beerbang:

2 Likes

Yep it is a taste thing.

1 Like

Wow - great stuff Patrick!

Iā€™ll nit pick first - for me some of the percussion sounds a little harsh or proud. Wish I could be more mix articulate on thisā€¦
The kick ā€œpopsā€ a fair bit to me too. I donā€™t think itā€™s a big problem, but I did notice it so - FWIW etc. I think attenuating and/or EQing the kick would fix a lot.

HOWEVER - great groove in general and lovely chords/progression. Great, tasteful and nicely ā€œdifferentā€ lead as ever. Bass sounds great.

Re vocal comments etc - I understand but donā€™t agree. I think you need a laid back, almost non-committal delivery and I think youā€™ve done that really well.

Do you know Prefab Sprout by the way? I think youā€™d like them & this reminds me a little of them.They get overtly poppy at times but Steve McQueen is a great album.

Great one, well done.

1 Like

Yes, agree 100% Emma.

1 Like

Thanks for the bash and kind words FD!
Iā€™ll revisit this week-end if I can find the time, and the kick definitely the number 1 thing I want to address.

I remember Prefab Sprout from the 80s. They were cool. Been a long time I havenā€™t listened.
Now I need to get back to listen to them. Thanks for the reference! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah that line I was not sure of, but it sounded so well!
I always put the sound of lyrics before the actual meaning (although itā€™s better when both are good, of course!). I asked Emma and she said that it was not ā€œgrammatically correctā€ but told me that it was not a big deal and that she thought it was having that different edge that was cool, so I went for it!

1 Like

Very nice groove. The mix is great and reminds me of some of the songs on Random Access Memories by Daft Punk, though they tuned more heavily and were stronger on the Vocal FX. Which reminds me - in this mix, the vocals, particularly on the verses, feel a little uncertain. I think 90% of it is due to the volume variation - more compression could help you here! Donā€™t let them get too Buried. Also consider automating the volume up some of the endings where it sounds like the vocalist is trailing off.

Some great mix candy in here, effective stuff.

2 Likes

Hi Patā€¦ good to hear your music again :grinning:

Iā€™ve listened a lot to your productions over the past few years and this Steely Dan-like number caught me out! Yes, its definitely different. Nice gentle funk with a rock-like lead break in the middle, a nice balance!

Did you try to emulate a crackly 45rpm single with those ā€œscratchesā€ at the beginning, or is it my headphones playing up?

You really need to be a bit more careful with your bottles too! Mind you, you did create a smashing outro!

One slight criticismā€¦ I did feel that the percussion was a bit weak. It did sound that it was programmed, an appeared lost in the background somewhere?

Nice overall sound thoughā€¦:blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the bash mip! :smile: Well, thatā€™s quite a reference, thanks!
Iā€™ve revisited the kick and automated/compressed the vocals a bit more, making sure it stays on top.
Will give it another listen tomorrow before posting, to make sure I didnā€™t make it worse.

Thanks for the listen and bash, Ailwyn, glad you liked this one!
Yes, the intro is supposed to emulate an old vinyl, itā€™s pretty heavily high-pass, mono and the scratches are intentional. I wanted to have a big contrast with the real intro which starts with the vocals and really opens upā€¦
And yes, Iā€™ve broken quite a few bottles on this one, although fortunately I managed to keep my hands intact to be able to play that lead guitar!
You say the percussion is a bit weak, in terms of level? Some people were complaining they were too loud (congas in particular), so I suppose Iā€™m right in the middle? :wink:

Hi Pat,

As Iā€™ve never been involved in mixing and always done recording in a studio I canā€™t offer too much technical advice. All I can simply recommend is perhaps bring them up a dB or two so that they are a bit more prominent in the mix?

1 Like

Another gem, Patrick. It has a lot of nice bounce and feel, which is your specialty. I will listen again later to see if anything sticks out, but for now Iā€™d just say Iā€™d be fine with your voice out front a little more, kind of accentuating the breathiness in it. The other very minor pick is that on the really midrange crazy speakers Iā€™m listening on at work, the beater on the kick might be overdone. That would be a very easy eq fix. As far as being too busy, you are the composer, and you should stick with what you like. I donā€™t find it distracting, but you might solve both perceived issues by backing the beater down. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing it on better speakers later.
Great Job.

1 Like