Personal hearing EQ curves

Absolutely-- I feel like at least I now know for sure what I’m dealing with.

If it is not a major ordeal (and expense) to get tested at the higher freqs, I will do that, because of how important it is to music and mixing-- I need to be able to rely on what I’m hearing at least up to 12K, higher if possible. Because both results indicate significant recovery at 8Khz, perhaps I don’t have a big problem at those freqs (but I feel like I do). Then I can make an informed decision about to what extent my HAs can address those and whether the added expense is worth it.

Perhaps I can find some sound samples of known frequency at those higher levels (e.g. the Harmon Kardon “How to Listen” modules) and get some idea…

Hear, hear! :ear:

2 Likes

Hey! Resurrecting this thread to report that I got fitted for my hearing aids on Monday. They are Oticon OPN MiniRITE models, and so far they are working very well and making a big difference. Here’s my after-action report…

They’re not cheap! Even with my $2500 coverage benefit from insurance, I’m out several thousand bucks. But very worth it IMO. All of a sudden I can hear the high-end again!

They sit behind the ear and have small speakers on the end of capillary tubing, and those go inside the ear canal. The little soft plastic “domes” into which the speakers are fitted are perforated, to allow natural sound to still get in: they are not molded plugs that fill the ear canal. This allows the units to work only on the part of the spectrum where I’m deficient while still allowing lower-freq sound to come through normally; a full plug would have to work across the whole spectrum, and that’s not what I need.

They are quite small, and don’t interfere with my eyeglasses, nor do they get in the way of wearing headphones. That was about my only real concern from a logistical standpoint. No feedback of any kind when they’re enclosed in the cans either.

Naturally, “there’s an app for that”, and my Android phone can control the units via Bluetooth connectivity. I can choose between one of two presets, one for quieter environments and one for louder (these are updateable, I can add more later if need be) and control the volume within each preset. They’re also compatible with “If This Then That” functionality, such that I could (if I had the “smart home” components) program certain other lights or appliances to come online when I turn on the aids each morning or power them down each night. That’s all for later though, no need for that yet.

The app includes a “mute” button as well, for example if you’re outside and it’s windy, that produces some unpleasant sounding interaction with the fine mics on the units. But what this also does is provide “A/B” functionality: I can mute and unmute the aids to hear with and without them instantly, and this REALLY shows how effective they are. It’s as if I’ve been living with a low-pass filter in place with the cutoff at about 6-8 kHz, and having these in removes it. Using the mute button to a/b is like toggling the LPF on and off!

I retook the online hearing tests yesterday and that revealed that my tinnitus sits right at 6k. I still have a deep trough there because the tones are being drowned out by the ringing in my ears. But having the other freqs restored overcomes it, I can latch on to the sibilants so much better that I don’t notice that anywhere except in the test.

All in all, a very satisfied customer, I’m very glad I finally got this done. I have not had to ask my long-suffering wife to repeat herself for days-- major process improvement! :grinning:

5 Likes

Very cool CW, glad to hear you are doing well with those. Many new users have at least some difficulty getting used to HA’s but this is encouraging for those of us in similar situations, thanks for posting this.

One thing I had difficulty with when I first got my HA’s was playing guitar live through a semi-cranked amp. The fifth string 3rd fret ‘C’ made a farting noise through the HA’s when I played a short single note up loud. I ended up returning them and getting a different brand. Is live playing OK for you?

I haven’t actually picked up a guitar yet in the 48 hours or so I’ve had the aids… I will be sure to report back after I do though!

Live music is a weak point for HA’s, not so much concerts but practice and jams where levels jump around a lot. HA’s are set up mainly for speech levels so even acoustic instruments can overload the input limiters. Here’s an article.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/programming-hearing-aids-for-listening-12915

2 Likes

I just noodled around on my 6-string acoustic and it sounded just fine to me… admittedly it was only for a short time but I didn’t even think about the fact I have the HAs in. FWIW…

Thanks for that article! Very in-depth information there. Will give a thorough read when I get a few minutes.

Wow, I flunked. Really bad on the 4-8k and not so good anywhere for sure. oh well I am old and played in a rock band for 30 years. ha ha No wonder my tracks sound so bad. A friend asked me last week to listen to her brakes. she said there was this high pitched squeal. I couldn’t hear it. No kidding. I asked my wife and granddaughter to go on the second trip and they kept saying “you can’t hear that”??? Makes sense now. Thank you for this

sincerely

paul

I know this is an old thread, but I just got around to taking the test. I was in good shape until 4k, at which point the Grand Canyon dropped off until 8k. I also have tinnitus, which I think is masking the 4k and is pretty loud inside my head these days. I took an approximation of the graph and reversed the shape on it, and added it to my master output channel, and it was very noticeable. Scary.

2 Likes

I totally missed this one! I’m curious to hear (no pun intended) what the verdict is now that you’ve had it a few more years. Hope you’re doing well!!

I would call that the wife button

Glad you have them

1 Like

Hey guys! Wow, this is going way back! Yep, still have the hearing aids, still just as useful as ever. Big time positive life change, for both me and my wife :slight_smile: Hope y’all are safe and well.

1 Like

So good to hear from you!! (pun intended?)
Also, glad to know those are working out well for you. I’ve been wanting to get mine for at least a few years now, but my insurance doesn’t cover it and they are definitely not inexpensive. Especially without insurance chipping in.
Are you banging on any guitars lately? I think I’ve made several changes since we last spoke. lol

I was very lucky that my insurance covered about half the cost. Even half was expensive! But I’m so glad I did it. You can bet that I take verrrrrrrry good care of these babies.

Actually been banging on guitars quite a lot, at the expense of recording time. After being a regular at the twice-weekly live streams by James McMurtry, I learned a TON about his approach and started doing some how-to videos for my fellow guitar-playing McMurtry fans. Then I started some livestreams of my own last fall populated mostly by folks from the large group that was active in the chatbox alongside the streams. Got to be pretty friendly in there. So I do an hour at a time, every couple weeks, with a few McMurtry tunes each time but the rest by the many other Americana style artists whose work I love and lends itself to singing and playing on a single guitar. It’s a lot of fun for me and the folks who regularly turn up enjoy the time together (virtually).

Also have expanded my collection some more… in fact, it’s a GAS! :wink: Makes it handy on the streams to have 12 strings in natural, double drop D, and DDD with a capo with a couple of six strings in natural & capo’d configs so I can just switch guitars between tunes (although there is plenty of tuning, can’t be helped!).

You can see all this madness on my Youtube channel:

Take it easy!

1 Like

Your cover of Red Dress is stellar! I subscribed, because, of course. You need to be posting these jams in here!

1 Like