Percussion check..thanks for all the help and Michelle on mastering

Wow, unreal. Well yur not that rusty that’s for sure. I worried about the verse lyrics coming thru clearly because of being sung that low. I can’t hear them, but that is no indicator, because I have been tested and found to have some serious hearing loss. Bass and drums really pop now. As far is what I hear, it sounds awesome. I hope others chime in. thanks so much…I am pm’ing some stuff

1 Like

The mastering sounds good to me. Just adding a bit more presence and detail to what was already there. I’m curious what the secret sauce was. :wink:

2 Likes

Might have been compression marinara? Come on Stan roll with this.

1 Like

oh pfft :stuck_out_tongue: barely any secret sauce there. To be frank the song was good as is and didnt need much. Once you are groovin, you are groovin. Other stuff is pretty basic verb and width.

What I learned new is I pulled off the noise signal Paul had in the beginning to the side and sidechained it to a “noise bus”. So when I lifted the track up, it didnt get bloated and mess with the noise ratio and overall clarity. Then I automated it live as the compressor was working. What that does is that it allows me to eq the track for presence and bring it forward while maintaining most of the clarity. For a home recorded track, this is a decent production from Paul.

2 Likes

So you had some noise reduction working on it, like iZotope RX? The compressor/EQ thing sounds a little bit fancy, reminds me of a trick I learned in Pro Tools a long time ago for multi-track live automation doing segments of a song at a time. I was told that’s how they do it in Nashville.

Yes, this one really had something special about it. I don’t recall hearing it previously. The feel and vibe of it is so fun, and the vocals and guitars as well as rhythm section just really made it stand out.

2 Likes

kind of yes, but without putting a hard noise gate on it. I wanted the the raw analog noise he had preserved, to glue the track together. I used to apply gating to reduce noise before making the track louder. I often didn’t the side artifacts. Though I am not an expert in noise reduction by any way, when I saw someone do noise reduction by sidechaining it by multing and driving the level up and down manually in the busier and less busy parts, it felt natural and I liked it a bit better than simply putting a gate on it and calling it a day. Just playing around.

1 Like

That makes sense, the noise floor could be ever-changing throughout the song, and a static gate might not address that very well. That’s a fascinating technique!

2 Likes

Another 2 cents to the equation. When I click on a song it immediately loads. In the lower left hand corner a meter shows the progression of the load. It starts out high and after about 30 seconds it goes down to almost nothing.
I did notice on this song that the bar never did go down and it remained about a third of the way up. I then mutted all the tracks and started soling each one to find out the mutt that was causing the noise. None of them made a difference. So, is this something in Studio One itself? I know sometimes I hear (and see) my 414 condensor mike set too high. I wonder if it didn’t leave some kinda imprint?
Gonna mess with that a bit

feaker,
Listening to the newest mix. Even though the sound quality is very good, this song has a vintage vibe for me. The vocals fit the song well. Nice guitar playing. Nice melodies all around; I like it! :slight_smile:

1 Like