Open back headphones

Its not that the axial modes of the entire room as a whole were the root cause as to minor oblique modes in the nearby area. I dont think @takka360 was referring specifically to sub bass frequencies. It is however possible that the response was comb filtered before ( near the walls ) and in the middle of the room it simply wasnt. So the perception changed. Mystery could be as simple as its better to mix further away from the walls in an open back headphone.

What you are describing is a combination of high frequency absorption( from the acoustic foam) and minor comb filtering caused in the low mids from the boundaries from the open back sounds being reflected with minor delays.

1 Like

Did a short test. This is a response from the Audeze Open back headphones, recorded at about 2 feet distance from the wearer, playing at a moderately but tolerably loud volume. As you can tell they are pretty loud and the spread is quite wide. Enough to trigger minor room responses along the lines of comb filtering and absorption if not the full axial mode response. Since the open back work both ways, the wet sounds would trickle back into the ear of the listener as well.

EQ.v1

@takka360 this is a good song to reference to fyi. My go to rock reference.

2 Likes

No problem, I know I can be a stubborn nerd sometimes, but I appreciate your feedback and I totally believe that you experienced this.

1 Like

Thanks for making this test, I appreciate your dedication to this debate!

Unfortunately your graph doesn’t have any caption so I’m not sure what it really means. Which mic did you use to record? If you’re going to run this test, you need to use an omnidirectional microphone (ideally a measurement microphone) otherwise it doesn’t constitute a faithful picture of what is really happening in the room since the sound waves are spreading in all directions from the headset.

Not sure what Audeze model you’re using but Audeze’s generally have huge drivers and power compared to their competitors. For instance, the LCD-X have 106mm drivers while the AKG K701 have 50mm drivers, that’s not even half the size. In all cases, assuming your graph width is the usual 20-20k Hz scale it doesn’t seem to match what I’m hearing in your audio: I can barely hear the bass guitar or the body of the kick while I can clearly hear the guitars, vocals and cymbals.

Also, frequency analyzers show a completely different graph depending on their curve weighting settings so the test is far from providing a reliable scientific output, but it’s interesting nonetheless. As a matter of fact I did it myself as well (and discovered in the process that my measurement mic had a really poor signal-to-noise ratio).

Anyway, we probably spent to much time debating this already and we’re not in the incriminated room so we won’t ever know for sure. We probably should go back to making music now :grinning:

Side question though: what did you use before your Audeze and are you happy with their value for the price? Is it the There’s a lot of hype around these but we don’t see them around where I live so I’m curious. I use BeyerDyamic DT 1990 pros myself and they’re ok but if I can get something significantly better for critical listening I’m always interested.

2 Likes

haha I agree, its was fun to dig though.

Its the Audeze LCD X, even though its great I am actually only borrowing them from a friend to compare to the Slate VSX that I own. I prefer the Slate VSX closed back for pretty much the same reason as this thread. Too much outside interference. I am definitely a closed back headphone person.

1 Like

Ok good to know. I never found there was such a big difference between closed and open back headphones myself, I started using open back headphones because everyone said it was more natural sounding but I can’t say I mix better because of them.