Non-obvious audio jobs

I wanted to make a thread of skills that audio engineers have that could be used to make money, beyond the obvious track bands and have them hopefully pay you someday.

1 Like

Dance Studio remixes.

My sister works at a dance studio, and they always need music cut and edited. This is pretty trivial work for anyone that knows how to work a DAW, but magic to anyone else.

I ended up just teaching my sister how to do it so she could do it herself, and now she gets calls from other dance studios for doing editing work.

Easy work, easy money, and requires almost no gear at all.

2 Likes

Forensic Audio tech for the FBI, CIA, NSA… ETC :slight_smile:

Broadcast Audio is very lucrative. I have a guitar customer who does remote truck work for sporting events. Knowing that it was my buddy mixing the “thwump” of the kick off with the commentary and bumper music of the Clemson/Alabama game last night was pretty cool…
Doing straight up audio editing for local marketing commercial/presentation use to be pretty good. But now I’m finding that they let the video guy handle it.
Then again, I used to sell 30 minute, 45 min and 60min chunks of my instrumental jams to a film to VHS transfer company. That dried up quickly :slight_smile:
I was looking for a more modern venue similar to this. But with so many bands/producers “donating” material to royalty-free sites just to get heard, it’s next to impossible to get paid for "musical clip-art"
Another customer of mine never has to work again because he recorded some guitar licks that were used in a toy that sells in the dollar store here in the US. But it was huge in Japan, Sweden and the Netherlands… :slight_smile:

Also cant forget the biggest one of them all: YOUTUBE and blogs. It’s seems that you can make far more $$ on YT telling folks how to do stuff than you could possibly make doing the stuff that you be tellin bout… :slight_smile: Not knocking in any way. More power to them. If I had a personality, I’d be out there, too…
Want to make a million dollars? Tell folks that for $1 (or $19.95) that you’ll tell them how to make a million dollars…
have fun
rich

3 Likes

closing thread. Go to this one instead: 101 ways your studio (home or professional) can generate income besides recording bands