Mix submission - Two Bare Hands, Venue Studios

Overall I like the mix - It sounds very natural - a nice representation of the song.

There is a lovely sense of space here. However, my overall impression is one of a little too much distance being between me and the performers - like everyone is at the back of the stage.

I wonder if the spot mics could have been used to more effectively place the instruments in different front-to-back “layers” on the soundstage… to create some more definition and intimacy between performer and listener.

1 Like

Thanks for the listen. Room mics, yep they do push things back. I have been told by people there is too much and others not enough in my mixes over the years. The only way to get it right is with input from the artist. I tend to mix drier but I didn’t want a big volume change when the crowd started clapping, so i left the room mics up pretty high in the mix.

Wow. Just wow.

1 Like

That is pretty impressive i must say

1 Like

Very nice. I needed more channels. My options at the time were Dangerous, Grace, and CraneSong, but there are a tone of others that are really nice though (including that antelope) if having a 6-bus isn’t a concern.

Apart from the channels, it came down to the DA…this one was a lifetime investment - The Cranesong setup was over $6000, but I’m counting on it to be the center station for the studio for at least 20 years or so. If I’m lucky it’ll get me all the way through the end of my career.

1 Like

Wow! A lot of stuff on your entry here. Just getting around to listening to some of these…

Usually this much verb kind of bugs me, but you’re making it work. …Actually, I think the guitars could maybe come up a little to help the vocal sit in the mix a little better - it’s feeling a little disconnected. You’ve got some of the best drums I’ve heard so far - really crackin’ and nice! OK, maybe it’s a taste thing, but that verb on the vocal could come down a bit so it’s not quite so noticeable. Then a little more guitars to match the energy of your drums. Small things really. Nice mix!

Kent, listening again to your mix after I’ve finished mine. Gotta tell ya, I really like your snare! Sounds so natural. That was the most difficult of everything for me in this mix.

When I get off travel I can tell you the processing I used.

The vocals are dry, the verb comes from the room mics!

I saw that when I read through your thread after voting. There’s a mixing lesson right there - who needs reverb on a live recording?? Cool. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I like the sense of space and width in your mix! Also, how you have described the trade-offs and compromises to achieve a result in a mix. It comes down to choices.

I really like your snare sound too. I would be interested in this as well.

Nice lively mix. I think that bringing the vocal forward just a bit (turn up the volume, clear a little eq on other tracks. ) would be what i would suggest. or maybe adding a little more room to the guitars and synth and then bringing the whole mix up a bit. Anyway just nit picks that may not even improve what you have already achieved. Nicely done.