Loudness Normalisation is Coming to Radio

Remeber when I sent my first stuff to US radio. Took an age to get it mastered so that it worked without sounding like shit (with help of good man at an FM station).
That pre broadcast compression they used (back then, don’t know if they do now) was a nightmare.

Oh, trust me… I’ve tried to turn it off. My old Focus had a similar thing that COULD be turned off, no joy with this car. It’s got so much flexibility - the usual EQ, automatic loudness control so the music turns up to stay clear over running noise based on the speed the car’s going at, “occupancy” settings that let you set up the sound to focus on the driver’s seat (at a guess, it changes the volume and delays the signal to the closer tweeter)… so why it’s totally unmoving on the subject of compulsory, terrible compression is beyond me.

Agree @AJ113, loudness normalisation would be perfect for radio (though for live broadcasts tricky to achieve without compression, since you don’t know when a guest is about to scream down the mic… obviously not an issue with pre-sequenced music, programs etc that can be analysed for a integrated loudness). And playback volume normalisation should be standard in all playback devices. I suppose the ideal standard in the case of CD playback would be metadata containing a loudness value, analysed in a standard way, for the entire album - so that inter-track relative dynamics could be maintained. I think Itunes do something like this based on whether you’re listening to individual tracks or a whole album.

Orban has state of the art commercial broadcast gear that can do it on the fly. Don’t ask me how…

Does it delay the signal so it has time to react to short term loudness levels?

Sorry, I just asked you how. :joy:

I’m guessing that must be it. Unless Orban has managed to invent the word’s first operational time travelling machine.

Thinking on…live broadcasts usually have some sort of delay anyway to allow for emergency cut off of unsuitable broadcast material. Maybe the Orban gear piggy-backs on this.

Do they? Most broadcast output is on a couple of seconds delay, allowing time for a compressor to kick in.
It’s the same delay that allows for the bleep button wqhen someone calls Donald Trump a Mtherfcking sh*thole.