Is this the sound of my microphone dying? :-((

@JayGee
I was just wondering - I’ve been quite a while not in my studio which means the mic has not been turned on for a much longer period of time than usual… do you think just having it powered up regularly would have kept it drier, does that make any sort of technical sense? I’m just trying to understand it with my whimsical brain.

I also use an AT4040 very frequently, and leave mine set up in my music room. I live in just about the MOST humid place in the United States, the Houston area, where we sit at 80 to 85% relative humidity (and 90F-plus temps) for ten months of every year. Yes, we have central air conditioning (could NOT survive here without it), but if my 4040 hasn’t been affected by humidity in the 4-ish years I’ve had it, I would be astounded if yours would, Emma… you would have to actually see moisture beading on every shiny surface in your room for that to be the answer, I reckon. What kind of RH do you typically see where you are, and for how long each year? I would be highly surprised if it surpassed ours.

But glad to hear your problem seems to have been resolved. My wife’s go-tactic is somewhat the same-- let it sit and it will fix itself. :wink:

2 Likes

Today it is 91% but according to sensible husband it probably averages around 70. I know it’s humid when the walls and floor become sticky… yuck.
I hadn’t realised how attached to that mic I have become - funny. And it’s the first time I’ve ever had an issue with it. No air conditioning here by the way. And yes, there was an ‘ostrich quality’ to my problem solving but incredulity when it worked. :crazy_face:

I have now re-recorded the hole-in-my-bucket song and for my non-discerning two year old grandson it will be just fine. I am glad to have found a place relatively near where I can get stuff fixed in the future. And now I am so busting to get some studio time… well, you know how it goes. And how about the NZ rocket launch yesterday - that was pretty exciting!!!

2 Likes

Yes to all @Emma! There is nothing quite like a rocket launch…

1 Like

We (as a nation) were so proud and pleased… it’s an amazing thing…

2 Likes

I don’t think so, but I’m not an expert on wet condenser mics. :grinning:

1 Like

Do you know what I do? I grabbed a couple of bags of silica gel from some packets of crackers and when I’m not using my microphone, they are attached to the back and front of my condenser mic using a rubber band. That keeps almost 100% of the moisture off the capsule.

You should be able to pick up these silica gel packs from various food packets, or in a pinch you could ask a friendly shop keeper for some (electrical stores must throw out a couple of thousand of these packets per year).

3 Likes