I'm done with this. I quit

Well, that’s my point. If he did this, then it was never a busines in the first place, and was doomed to failure from the start.

I don’t agree with the restaurant scenario. Just because the business involves doing something you enjoy, doesn’t mean it is re-labelled a hobby in the event of a failure. First and foremost, it’s a failed business, and failed businesses usually have grave implications.

Also I meant that when you run a business, it takes up all your time. If you’re not spending at least 12 hours a day on it, then it’s probably just a sideline, not a genuine business.

To be fair, Jonathan has not said it was a business. Nevertheless if you’re going to set out in any commercial activity some prior research is almost always necessary.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Its too bad things didn’t work out.

I think this is an exercise in hair-splitting. J gave it a go hoping it would get enough traction to become a viable part of his livelihood. It didn’t pan out, so he’s shifting gears, changing his expectations, and moving on. What’s the big deal?

5 Likes

I have been an eBay store for over ten years (since I was 26), and I do pretty well. Brick and mortar cost way too much for music related business, unless you are guitar center or a recording / rehearsal studio. It pays to do it at home and do DIY. I specialize in vintage amps, guitars, effects, and tubes. I keep it simple and I have become somewhat of a historian of these items :slight_smile:

3 Likes