How should I upsample files to mix?

Looking at the last couple responses…
keep in mind that this was put in the “beginners” category.

We all start somewhere. There are plenty of questions to ask along the way and you won’t get any flack for asking them here.

Let’s just keep that in mind when we’re responding to questions in this category :wink:
There is certainly room for debate on here and there is already a good mix of abilities represented (and growing), so the replies will vary.

Just know that us ‘mods’ will be fiercely protecting the beginner category as a safe place to ask questions without starting a debate :beerbang:

I am sorry, i thought OP was looking for speed instead of quality conversion. As far as free or paid conversion tools go on windows, r8brain free is the best option. You should give it a try!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification!!

Yeah, I’ve used r8brain happily in the past.

re; bit depth, I absolutely would leave the files at 24 bit and let whichever DAW you’re using calculate your processes at whatever bit depth it operates at (unless it’s very old, it’s going to be at least 32 bit float). converting the source files isn’t going to net you anything other than a bit of wasted time and hard drive space, because 32 bit float = 24 bit depth with an extra 8 bits which slide the 24 bits up and down for very low and very high level signals. Just converting a 24 bit recording to a 32 bit float file will result in literally the same data with 8 extra 0’s at the end which do nothing!

As for the sample rate conversion, if you convert up you’ll probably have to convert back down at the end, so I’d only upsample if you were absolutely sure that the benefits are going to outweigh two rounds of conversion.

2 Likes

When you import to a project that has a specific sample rate/bit rate, if the conversion is up sampling then the audio will be unchanged, you’ve just encoded it using a different scale, but the data shouldn’t change. I don’t see what you’ve found wrong in Cubase.