Hello from Cleveland!

I’ve already posted a topic, and I introduced myself at RR some time ago, but I figured I would say hello again. :slight_smile:

My name is Cristina, and I release music under the name Riley Hawke. I’ve been making music for about 10 years, and have just recently decided to try and make a career out of it. Prior to this, I got my B.S. in Computer Science and have worked as a programmer for about 5 years. I saved up some money to take time off, and my wife works, so as much as it pains me to feel like I’m falling behind my peers, I’m taking this new road.

I just released an EP. (Kind of. It’s still in iTunes review limbo so I haven’t officially announced it yet.) I got this EP professionally mixed/mastered, but it was such an emotionally devastating process I’m not sure I’d do it again. At least not anytime soon. So I’m motivated to continue to improve my own mixing skills.

Here’s the EP in case you’re interested in what my music sounds like. I wrote, performed, recorded and produced everything myself. And I’m actually really proud of the album art as well, haha.
Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/1R744ZZqryScBI4rqbrnNs
YouTube (DistroKid uploaded it here): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKpnAbPJ5I5vwchT2Tuc1KKzo43EcGO8T

Creating this EP has been a huge learning experience, and I have a better idea of where I’d like to go in the future. Lately I’ve been doing a lot of critical listening to my favorite songs, trying to figure out what makes them so good, and seeing if I can emulate the magic. Some of my biggest influences/inspirations are Ben Howard, Pink Floyd, Bon Iver, Taylor Swift, Radiohead, and musical theatre actually, just to name a few. I’m improving my guitar playing, recording techniques, production, just everything. It feels like going back to school. :slight_smile:

Okay well that’s about it I guess. Glad to be here!

3 Likes

Awesome to have you here. I’m glad you felt comfortable just diving right in. You’re asking great questions and having fun. Can’t beat that!!
Welcome!

1 Like

Hi Christine and welcome!
I just checked out some of your songs on You tube. Sounds pretty good. My kind of music anyway. I like your voice. Lots of air in the recording. I’d love to read about some of your recording experiences. And so brave to try and make a career out of music. Go for it!

1 Like

Welcome @Cristina ! Glad you found the community!

1 Like

Welcome back Cristina! I remember you from RR. Glad to have you with us!

Please consider adding a map marker to our Membership Map, which you can read about here:

http://indierecordingdepot.com/t/membership-map-please-add-your-location/486?u=chordwainer&source_topic_id=1208
1 Like

Hi Cristina,
so cool to have you here…
Not a lot of gals seem to catch this audio bug. With me, it was more of a case of necessity but I’m surely hooked now. Look forward to checking out some more of your sounds.
:beerbang:

1 Like

Welcome Cristina! Very emotionally evocative music. It reminds me a little bit of Kaki King, if for no other reason than that may be my closest point of reference, and there seems to be a similar use of space and ambience in the recordings. If you hadn’t heard of her you might want to check out her music.

1 Like

I am loving your sound @Cristina! Intimate, atmospheric, and arresting. Sorry to hear the experience of producing these tunes was difficult, because IMO the outcome is excellent.

Really looking forward to sharing your journey onward from here. Thanks for sharing and welcome again!

1 Like

Welcome Cristina. I am following you on spotify now because i enjoyed what i have heard. I too am looking forward to hearing your progress. Enjoy the forum.

1 Like

Cristina,

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us.

"so as much as it pains me to feel like I’m falling behind my peers, I’m taking this new road."
Life is short and most people wake up every morning dreading having to go to work, so always follow the road that makes you smile and fills your soul.

2 Likes