Good old latency

Thanks so much for reaching out and helping. Being a big UA fan, I looked into the Apollo but it is out of my price range right now. It is a really great piece of equipment. I have been looking on Ebay to see if I can get a used one but it seems rare to find one there.

Is that the Apollo 8 that you have?

Sorry, should’ve specified, running a UA Apollo Twin MKII. Looking to get an Apollo 8p one day and a Octo Satellite sooner. I adore the UAD plug-ins.

I’d recommend zzounds.com if you’re interested in an UA interface. I split my payment into at least 8 payments and it’s worked great for me.

1 Like

Can you expound upon this a little for me? Do you record individual tracks on the drones and then import them into the main project?
Thanks for your help.

Sure, I have a network where all the computers are connected. I have two super machines that do all the heavy lifting. But after I’m done a project, I can export it on a service box so it doesn’t tie up my good machines. This is great for video renders that take forever and tie up a machine as well as other renders. I normally do not do audio renders using them as they don’t have good interfaces or my UAD capabilities. But there are times they can be used for just about anything. It depends on the job. This way, I keep on doing the CPU intensive jobs on the big machines.

1 Like

Great advice from Danny.

I’ve been tweaking Windows machines for real time audio processing for years. My latest machine is a beast; 12 core Xeon (3.0 Ghz) with 48 Gbytes of ram and all SSD drives. It is a HP workstation and was built for video rendering and batch processing.

When I received it, I installed Windows 7, Reaper and Mixbus. During initial testing was unable to record at less than 256 samples on Reaper and 512 samples (44.1khz, 24 bit) on Mixbus without buffer underruns and severe glitching.
I walked through modifying bios settings and windows settings using the black viper site and others as guidance and the difference was amazing.
It can now track without hiccups at a buffer sample size of 32, which is as low as my ASIO driver software goes.

Although this is an extreme example, it is always worthwhile to tweak any machine for real time audio processing.

1 Like