GO Train Blues

This is a bigger sounding mastering, Vaughan. Louder and powerful separation, but not too much so, and it does benefit the original, which was already a lovely instrumental arrangement, @Pirrie08.

I got kinda lucky there…

I literally cracked open a beer, threw the tracks into a new project with a cool plugin chain I like to work with, did a whole lot of subtle stuff I thought might work on the master buss:

mostly using only 1 or 2 db of eq (looks like an analog semi parametric with clickstops) and a couple saturation plugs (maybe a tiny bit of two knob compression) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

plus a little ‘abbey road thing’ on the end - saved it and posted it.

and the beer was still cold (ish) when I was done :beerbanger:

1 Like

Wow, guys, this is impressive.

Pirrie08, beautiful piece. Tight, interesting, nicely played. A lot more could be done with the drums. Hm,m. I wonder if going the djembe or cajon route might be a nicer touch. A very active cajon would be so sweet. Just a thought.

So, when I first listened to it tonight, my thoughts were that it sounded a bit muffled. Needed some air. I was going to post that comment, but thought I’d read others’ comments first. Came to Vaughan’s mixes. Holy crap! Nicely done, Vaughan. The crispness and the separation and clearer definition of the guitars was awesome. I can’t believe you did that without the original stems. Wow. Just wow.

Love the arrangment. Love the mastering. Nicely done. Now bring on the djembe! :slight_smile:

Seriously, though: very nicely done. Nicely played, nicely mixed, nice arrangement. Love it, guys!

Yeah, not sure about the drums. Have you tried deleting them?
There’s an exploratory and curios feel to the first theme, which gets murdered by the drums.
Later on, the track goes into “Tubular Bells territory” and that’s a place where drums are not required.

S

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed it!

I’m not sold on keeping them to be honest, but I’m finding the song loses cohesiveness when I mute them, not quite sure what the balance is there yet. Might try a different drum sound or as @tesgin mentioned, a different rhythm instrument could work, it’ll take some experimenting I think. I have a few of these songs ready that are all kind of in the same boat with the drums. That’s a weak point with me for sure, relying on the virtual instrument drums while I’m playing all the others that sound so nice and organic. Maybe I just need to hire a drummer and get a real feel? Thanks for the feedback!

Not buyin’ it sir. That’s the benefit of knowledge and talent crashing together to create a perfect storm of awesomeness lol Still seriously impressed and totally confounded how you made that happen without the original individual tracks. Hell, I have the tracks and it wasn’t half as good as what you did to it :rocket::beerbanger:

…In the meantime, university is kicking my ass hard, it’ll be a few more weeks before I can dig in to this stuff again but I’ll post an updated version again as soon as I can get to it. Thanks again for the help everybody!

1 Like

Appreciate the sentiment, for sure… @Pirrie08

I actually went back and looked to see what I’d done… I’d had a couple of beers… so I saved it, but even I didnt trust it 100%, mp3 is so weird like that.

…so if you want to send me a NEW .wav of that track, perhaps with new drums (less rock, more natural acoustic sounds - maybe on 4 drum tracks instead of 2 - I would be happy to ‘untrust’ that sound too and drink another beer in an attempt to fix it, without actually doing that much, again. :wink:

Let me know, luck may be on our side.

No charge, of course - just like the last time, you would be very welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again, I don’t know how old you are, pointing to these track just to be safe…

Mike Oldfield didn’t use drums…

Camel use tasteful drums… (from Snow Goose)