GET OUTA BED! (...and bash this mix)

Thanks Bob - glad you liked it.

Yep, this is what I thought after all because it’s not what he used to do (from what I listened from him).

Hey Fh Very nice sounding mix. Intro sounds good with the panning choices. Nice use of delays. Did you reamp the guitars? I think the only thing that might need some adjustment is with the kic snare levels. Maybe bring the snare down a db. Great job, always enjoy hearing your mixes.

O bye the way how did you handle the snare? I just had a hard time with it.

I reamped one of the rhythm guitars (the RH one), and kept the other one as is.

Yeah, the snare’s pretty loud - I was referencing ACDC’s “Rock’n’Roll Train” for this one:

I did something a little different this time. I found a the cleanest, most powerful snare hit I could find in the raw drum multi-track and used it as a sample to lay in under the existing snare. I processed it to sound meaty and powerful, with a lot of attack. Solo’d it’s totally robotic, but sliding it in underneath, provides some consistency in the snare playing.

I also layered in a few samples from Slate’s trigger and tucked them in underneath for some fatness and ambience. The basic snare sound you hear is still there when I turn off the samples, though.

2 Likes

That’s a brilliant idea!

ColdRoomStudio,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your song mix, the one on top. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard this song before, and I think it is a very good song. That sounds like a lot of work, adding the best snare hit. Or did you use some sort of software that automatically added the snare? Or you manually added every snare hit? I really have no advice for the mix, because it all sounds very good to me! Great job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aaron.

That sounds like a lot of work, adding the best snare hit. Or did you use some sort of software that automatically added the snare? Or you manually added every snare hit?

No it’s actually not much work, really. I used Slate Digital’s “Trigger 2” plugin to fire the snare sample I made - no tedious manual placement needed!