First time, don't bash it too hard please ! The song : Keep on

Ok this time i tried to improve some things, thank you guys !

I am listening just to the most recent version in the original post.

It sounds great! Your voice is really good, I like the way you use it. I would still want it just a bit more prominent, especially before the first chorus. The overall sound of the instrumentation is excellent. Nice use of the eq spectrum and stereo soundscape. To my ear the accent makes no difference at all, in fact it adds a bit of ā€œexoticā€ flavor IMO.

You should be very happy with this! I sure would be! :metal::vulcan:

1 Like

I am listening to the latest post and it is sounding good. If I were to suggest something i think would be to add a little ā€˜funā€™ elements: example a long delay in a couple of places on the vocals. just a to add a little more movement throughout the song. I am really digging this.

1 Like

Thank you redworks !

Nice song man! Good job on that.

Gonna restrain myself from commenting on the technical part for stuff that already sounds this good, cause my ears arnā€™t trained enough yet like these guys here :slight_smile:

I prefer the flat version for some reason though :slight_smile: Maybe make the adjustments you add a bit softer ?

1 Like

was pretty happy with the flat one too !

1 Like

Yeah ! Maybe just a little bit more depth, but verry subtle ! the voice doesnā€™t cut into the mix in the chorus as good as it could maybe, now that I hear it again. Or maybe cause I readsomething like that a bit higher here :slight_smile: But its more like dips here and there.

I love the song!

Instrumentally, for some reason it made me think of a French Tom Petty, which is a great thing. The improved version is a genuine improvement too!

Just in terms of the arrangement, I wonder if you could do anything to make the song push into the last chorus around 3:15 a little more urgently? It arrives quite politely at the moment.

Thank you Cirrus, and iā€™ll think about it !

Dang dude! I really like your voice! Iā€™m listening from my phone, so Iā€™ll give it a bashing from my desktop :wink:
Just wanted to at least let you know Iā€™m a fan already. :+1:

2 Likes

Ok holster. Thanx and iā€™m waiting for it !

Listening to 3rd version.Sounds nice - I like the song.

My first instinct was that the snare is a bit loud and has quite a bit of low end.Vocals getting lost from time to time.
You have a great voice so no reason not let them through!

Not much else to add - I think the rest of the mix gels nicely IMHO

Thank you, it helps. The comment you made make me feel
like my mix is near finish.
David

Beautiful song, I love the emotion and the overall feel of it, nice work!
Prior to mixing I think the song would really benefit from some arranging, best tool in this scenario being the ā€œmuteā€ button. One thing that constantly plays throughout the song is the clean electric guitar on the right. Try to mute it at different sections of the song, and take a listen to how it opens up any other interesting instrument(s) that sit beneath. Listen to the overall feel of the song with and without it in the mix. In my case, I would probably lower it in lever when the vocals come in in the first verse, then bring them back up at the chorus. After the first chorus I would probably mute them altogether, and let the other guitar paned more to the center dominate this part of the song. Again bring it back in the second chorus. The same can be applied on other instruments, even muting the whole drum kit at various parts and taking a listen how that affects the song. Youā€™ll quickly realize that not only muting completely instruments you could mute only certain parts of the frequency spectrum for instance, low passing the drums, to give them that distant feel (sending them to a big reverb adds to the trick). then applying the hp/lp on say the vocals, creating the infamous ā€œtelephoneā€ effect, the sky is the limit. This is the time to put your creative hat on, and leave the technical details for later.
That being said, the mix as it is, it could benefit from a few tweaks in a technical standpoint. For instance, I personally prefer the drum kit in some sort of ambiance, and although the dry snare works well in the verses, it would benefit from some reverb in the choruses. Ride cymbal is a bit buried in the choruses. As far as ambience goes feel free to experiment with it allot, it really is the glue that makes your mix a cohesive whole. Although separation in a mix is something that is desired, too much separation is not a good thing, as is no separation at all. Your instruments, and Iā€™m referring by far to guitars, are not blended enough with the rest of the mix, they poke out too much. Sending them to a good sounding room or ambience preset on a good reverb plugin would really help in this case (donā€™t overdo it though, you donā€™t want to drown your mix). Vocals could also benefit from some ambience. Another thing that would help in this case is the use of compression - there are just way too many times that something pops out of the speaker and grabs your attention. Again, in small controlled amounts, this is desirable, to focus the listeners attention to details and to keep him interested (there is always something going on), but in this uncontrolled manner it just distracts too much from the song itself. Try applying small amounts of compression to even out the performances, if it does not help, try increasing the ratio, lowering the threshold, or even putting two compressors in series or in parallel. Riding the master fader at different parts of the song is another thing that can bring life to a steady mix. Experiment and have fun with it, and remember, if it sounds good - it is good :slight_smile:
Happy mixing,

Zsolt

Thank you for the support and help Zsolt !
Yes it is maybe the way i should explore now. About muting some gtrs sections, iā€™m ok with it !
Low passing the drums ā€¦ mmm ok but parallel !

1 Like

There you go, now youā€™re talking! :slight_smile: Donā€™t let anything stop you in your creativity :slight_smile:

Hey, very interesting song, very personnal I think!
I really canā€™t add anything to what others said, specially @ptalbot! very spot on.
What I could add (or repeat) is I found the song a bit loopy, the chorus mainly.

But you did some great job and I think you found the right place to improve your mixing skills!

French too by the way :slight_smile:

Thanx mate

Man, Iā€™m new here and there are French guys all over the place (I am, too)! How comes?

Anyway, I loved the song, I think there are a lot of cool ideas. I love the bass line, your voice when you sing in the upper register, and the songwriting in general. Songs about terrorist attacks can easily sound dumb (I know, I wrote one that Iā€™m now ashamed of) and this one certainly doesnā€™t.

I donā€™t have anything new to add to the mix comments. There is one small detail that sounds weird to me: this one note on the melody around 2:13 (the ā€œwhereā€ in somewhere), it anticipates the next chord but doesnā€™t sound right to my ear. Iā€™m not too thrilled with the ending too, but thatā€™s really just a detail.

1 Like