First Cab off the Rank

Did I give the impression I was upset by you saying that? I wasn’t at all upset! I know singing is your “thing”. (along with @Emma ) so I really take your comments to heart and try to improve. I’m sorry, you got the wrong impression completely, Paul - Sometimes I find Americans don’t understand the typical Aussie self-deprecating sense of humor…

My reply was just making light of the fact that I don’t really like my own voice, but I live with it, because it is the only one I’ve got, and when all is said and done, I think it’s ok.

Just to update you. I have already “fixed the mutts” that you and others pointed out and I think I’ve improved what was bugging me. I’ve been workin’ up another mix, which is coming along really nicely.

I have a guest artist doing some work for the track, so I’m waiting for their contributions to be sent to me, so I can present a completely overhauled mix.

I’ve found this to be an excellent place, over the years TBH! My entire last album was critiqued on RR and here, and that was extremely helpful - that’s why I keep coming back! There are a lot of trusted ears here, and I don’t mind the truth bombs. Usually after a while, even observations you didn’t take notice of at first resonate later when you gain a little distance from the project at hand.

The nice thing about IRD is that, even when you disagree on something, you generally know that the suggestion or observation is truly coming from a good place/intention (as per my discussion with @ingolee ), so it’s not like everyone is trying to troll you or tear you down just for the sake of it.

Awesome mate - I’m happy for you! Man, it would’ve been nice to have such a modern car when I was that age. My first car (in 1986) was a 1973 Mini 1100s!

No problem, that’s easy here because it is Winter, the finest time of year hear in Brisbane! Chrystal clear sunny days at around 24 degrees C (75 deg F) and clear starlit nights getting down to 7 degrees C (44 deg F). Beautiful!

1 Like

Ha! I’m a little older than you, but my first car (in 1980) was a 1973 VW Super Beetle. (I was half expecting you to say that when I read 1973.) I had that car for years. I still have a sore back from stuffing my Peavy bass cabinet into the back seat of that car! :crazy_face:

FWIW, I didn’t see any of the defensiveness in the comments here. It’s a tough thing to put yourself “out there” and it’s a tough thing to receive honest criticism too. That is one of my favorite things about this site, is the number of very helpful and accomplished musicians, song writers, and engineers giving feedback and advice from a good place. It’s kind of intimidating to be honest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh, that sounds really difficult. Thank goodness amps are much lighter now (& cars are much better)! I stilll have nightmares about replacing the radiator in the Mini. Changing the engine? You had to basically dismantle the entire front end! “Worst-car-ever-to-work-on!!!” I understand Beetles weren’t much better in that respect. Ironically I now own a VW - A GTi Golf.

Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to get your head around things. It can be a little bruising and deflating at times - especially when you’re really excited about something and the response is not so great. I try to take away the things that will help me improve and just move on. Overall, posting music here has been a very positive experience!

1 Like

Hi all - New, updated and improved mix here:

Ok, I may misinterpret the section and the flow of the song. I was speaking about the 1:20 -> 1:46 section (pre-chorus I suppose) where guitars only play one chord per measure…
I’m gonna check this in the next thread.

1 Like

Ah, I see… yeah I agree, it is a very plain part! Very “pedestrian”… but that is deliberate, I suppose. I always thought of it as a way of contrasting the more complex verse part before it… I guess if it were more complex, it wouldn’t contrast as well with the parts either side of the prechorus.

It’s always very hard to understand the intent of the writer when you try to critique a song; personal taste and preference always become a part of your judgement.
I’ve tried to learn that knowing where I may have taken a particular composition is typically irrelevant; if the writer knows what they are doing, questioning the direction they choose is counterproductive.
This song is a great case in point; every decision made was intended to propel the song, as well as set the stage for each twist and turn along the path. The message comes across loud and clear to the point that minor imperfections are superfluous. The damn thing is stuck in my head.

2 Likes