Enter the Haggis Mix Contest: Observation

I went with this option.

1 Like

I guess I kind of presupposed that everyone was going to account for loudness levels when voting. Purely as a mix competition, some 2 bus activity is borderline mastering territory, but it would also be hard to separate where the line is between the two.

I don’t know if there’s any good way of handling this other than maybe next time asking for everyone to shoot for a -14 or something goal. But if you want to penalize it, I would hate to be the judge that ends up being the volume police. I mean…what an inconvenience.

Melda has MLoudnessAnalyzer which has a “Batch Gain” feature. You simply set a Target Loudness and drag the .WAV onto the plugin and it will adjust the gain +/- the amount needed. The caveat is that if a mix is turned UP, it has a chance of clipping. There is no sort of “auto-limiting” that happens…

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MLoudnessAnalyzer

Regarding “mastering”, if a mix is good enough, it shouldn’t need any mastering, right? :wink:

1 Like

I was only making a funny! Hence the smiley face. Sorry if I offended.

I’ll say it again, this whole experience has been a wonderful, positive, supportive learning experience for me. This contest has been awesome!

I’m totally enjoying it and am looking forward to more. :blush:

Oh! No. I didn’t mean to sound offended. Definitely wasn’t. I playing devils advocate (about volume police) more than anything.