Easy trick to make vocal detail come alive

MV2 is the simplified version of MaxxVolume. it is a high level/low level compressor.
If you play with MaxxVolume a bit you will see how MV2 works.
But either one is awesome if you don’t overdo it.
Smoothing out acoustic guitars and Bass is my main use. If you have a track that is spikey or uneven in small sections or goes quiet in spots, it can do the trick.
It also works well for bringing out definition and finger noises.
It works well on vocals if they were recorded well but can bring out odd room sounds if they are not… :slight_smile:
I still use MaxxVolume on my low Bass Split channel with everything below 100hz being absolutely leveled. I use MV2 more right on the source/item and if it does what I need, I just render it.
For vocal detail, I just run a slammed parallel send with RVox, R Comp, or some other more generic comp. But most of the heavy lifting is done in the editing stage with trim/clipgain. The rest is just icing… :slight_smile:
have fun
rich

1 Like

Very interesting. I am going to pull out MaxxVolume. Thanks! I also run vocals in parallel. I will typically treat the channel in what ever way gets me a pretty even dynamic performance without hearing compression. A combination of MV2, C4(Multiband compressor) eq, automation etc. I then send it out to 4 channels on my console, One has no compression, second is the imperial labs DocDerr module that really makes a killer midrange, third is an API 525 which does a thick low end for voice, and then a DBX 160a which can compress for days without ever hearing it. The combination of these 4 tracks gets me my vocal sound. This lets me turn up or down the midrange cut in the chorus and turn up the low end in a verse or the other way around.

You bus out 4 stems just on a lead vocal?

Dude…you’re worse than me lol

Good thing you don’t have a 300 channels on your board…you’d probably use them all!!!

2 Likes

Yeah but he didn’t say that they are playing simultaneously. It’s just a way of automating the vocal. I do it in the DAW - rather than one vocal track that is automated all over the place I have multiple vocal tracks, all chopped up so that I can physically see during playback which variation is playing at any given time.

LOL.

They are all playing at the the same time. I use the faders to automate different eq curves for different parts of the song.

You crazy impetuous fool, you…

1 Like

I do a similar thing on all LVs. I’ll split it out to 3-5 channels or just duplicate the track. Each one gets a different Comp and eq (all in the box) . And those dupes go to different dedicated sends as well. One of the dupes may or may not get hard-tuned. One of the dupes may be sent to an octave down inside the group/buss to be blended to taste. Everything goes to a LV buss with it’s own global processing. That LV buss may get fed into parallel comp busses with other busses. But I will usually have one for just the LV with a neve comp or an RVOX.

1 Like